Regearing GS1100 Shaftie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regearing GS1100 Shaftie

Anyone regeared the rear end for a gs1100L shaftie model? Due to the faster speed limits on the highways around here it would be nice to regear the bike so that it runs a little slower RPM for 75 (interstate speed limit, and when you live by 2 of them they become main arteries.)

has anyone attempted this.

Hehe - I'm tempted to say something about how easy it is to do that with chain drive - but I won't.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
      Hehe - I'm tempted to say something about how easy it is to do that with chain drive - but I won't.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the forum.
      Like poking a stick into a hornets nest isn't it?

Comment

Real easy, just go 1 tooth up on the countershaft sprocket.

Oh wait, you don't have one of those...

:twisted: :twisted:

Welcome to the insanity.

Comment

be nice guys this is the tech forum I think it would be a good thing if Nick got in here and replied to that one.

Most shafties are geard low especially around the 1980s. My kawabnga has 120hp yet is definitly a canditate for higher gearing. But the mother is fast for a ferryboat and the shafties were geard lower to allow thier test to be competitive with the chain jobs. folks always look at numbers. CCs, Horse power rating and the like. I was driving the cow for about an hour at 70+ today and it really wasnt too high of an rpm after all these multiple cylinder bikes use rpm and not cubes for thier torque.

Comment

Not new to the list, just been gone for too long, or at least have not logged in for too long.

at 70 the bike is just fine. But sometimes I feel like I am pushing it at too high of RPM at about 80 which is the usual cruising speed on the interstate here in ND. I am tempted to pull apart the rear power drive and take the drive gears to a machine shop and see if they can match them up with a slightly higher geared counter part. Not Terribly higher though. My other Idea was to see if I could somehow engineer a 6th road gear on the bike. I have not torn apart the case to see if there is any room but I doubt there is.

Oh and trust me I expected lots of comments from the chain gang. But keep in mind I haven't had 1 drop of chain lube on my driveway or garage floor either. And no rattleing from the chain gaurd. :twisted:

Comment

It is of cause possible, anything is given sufficient dollars. The 1100g is the tallest geared of the shafties, so any change would have to be custom made.
              Dink

Comment

Hi

Not sure about the GS1100.......
                But on the GS1000 shaft The gear ratios is different on the two 1981 mod.
                I mean in the gear box.
                Here in Norway the GS1000GLx came with a 16 inch rear wheel,
                so if I want to slow down the RPM, I Can just put on a 17 inch wheel
                from a Gx.
                But I will not,as it is, it goes 85 Km hour in 1st. gear.
                So wery slow driving is difficult as it is.
                My previus bike had a 65 km max at 1st.gear,,
                easier to take off with, and slow driving..

Summer is here

GS1000GLx

Comment

The only way to change the gearing on the GS1100G or any shaft drive would be to find a GK late 83-84?? rear drive unit SOME models not all have a 2.9? gear ratio most shaft differentials are 3.1? The gearing difference between the GS850/1000 is in the beveled drive gears, not the trans -- They are not interchangable

Comment

Hi

On the GS1000GLx the 2nd and 5th gear is lower than on the GS1000Gx

Primary secondary and final reduction is the same numbers on both models.

MY point is ...

It is maybe the same on the 1100 shaftie also .??????

GS1000GLx

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                      The only way to change the gearing on the GS1100G or any shaft drive would be to find a GK late 83-84?? rear drive unit SOME models not all have a 2.9? gear ratio most shaft differentials are 3.1? The gearing difference between the GS850/1000 is in the beveled drive gears, not the trans -- They are not interchangable
                      Is there any easy to identify code on those GK drives that make it easy to tell which is which or do you have to open it up to find out?

Steve 8)

Comment

Most all of the big shafties had a 11/34 gear tooth arrangement
                        Most 83? all 84 GS1100GK had a 11/32 gear tooth arrangement
                        Being that there were not a lot of 1100GK's sold it may be hard to find one They are a discontinued part! You would have to physically turn the wheel ONE revolution and count how many revolutions the drive shaft turns

Comment

Working...
                        X