X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    78 horsepower?

A stock 850 makes that much.
    So true! I went riding again yesterday and I'm starting to get the feel of the bike. Trick is to keep it over 4000rpm!

Comment

Just keep it in the right gear and you're golden.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by coachmorin View Post
        So true! I went riding again yesterday and I'm starting to get the feel of the bike. Trick is to keep it over 4000rpm!
        These guys are right, although it's a blast to ride that way, you really shouldn't have to on an 1100E. Something isn't quite right there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

These guys are right, although it's a blast to ride that way, you really shouldn't have to on an 1100E. Something isn't quite right there.
          Spirited riding ?

Comment

Sure, but if an 1100E doesn't pull hard enough from an idle to be fairly interesting there's something wrong with it.

Comment

Sure, but if an 1100E doesn't pull hard enough from an idle to be fairly interesting there's something wrong with it.
              I don't know if this really the case, as I have not ridden too many V twins but I remember a Ducati that just seemed to be too much down low.

At the higher RPM you get a nice linear characteristics where you go from acceleration to deceleration by controlling throttle.

At lower RPM using torque the motor probably doesn't have as much frictional load and so the deceleration of letting off the throttle is not as pronounced.

Just a theory, I know after getting back off that Duc rde, I was stunned at how smooth my GS750EX was in comparison.

My knees also don't bend well and I find it uncomfortable to use the rear brake, so the GS engine higher RPM braking the rear tire is nice taking a load off the front wheel.

Comment

Guys...

After re-reading all the posts, coming back from work tonight, I decided to go back to the basic...again just to make sure.

1. Checked all the carbs bowls. Found float stuck on carb # 4. No gas at all. Barely touched it and came the gas.

2. Checked spark...Found 2 sparkplugs still looked brand new(cyl 2 and cyl 4). Not so good. and the 2 others(1 and 3), coffee colored. Good spark on all 4.

3. Then I went on checking the firing order....oh la la...For an unknown reason I had mixed cyl 2 and cyl 4 wires. Put the wires on the right cylinders and fired the beast. OH LALA. Hello smoke! Hello super nice racing sound, Hello super stable idle at 1000rpm...

4. Went to take a ride tonight to confirm my findings...OH GOD.

-Does it pull: Hell YA
                -Does it has low rpm torque: Hell YA
                The power is AMAZING, crazy. If I open full throttle on first gear, I can't touch the clutch to shift, needs to grab the handle so hard to stay on the beast.

At the final, it was my mistake. I guess I was too eager to go on the road and try the bike. When I first tried the GS, I thought to myself there was no way that bike can make 0-60 in 3.6 sec like in the magazines. Now, I truly believe it can. I'm shocked on how much power there is. This has nothing to do with the twins I owned or the thumper. Zero, nada.

I want to thank you all for your comments that sent me on the road to re-check the basics.(I'm really embarassed of my mistake here...)

This is not only a good bike, but truly a SUPER bike and yes, a beast!
                Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

two cylinders down and the frictional/compression load from the same and you dont know? It must be a hell of a beast. Don't worry you will get used to it and want more.

Comment

Posplayr

It did not run good on idle, always had to play with the idle screw. Honestly, it was not going that bad on 2 cylinders surprisingly.

Lesson learned. Don't try to go too fast and ignore simple problem like bad idling.

Comment

Now go wind it out.

Comment

Originally posted by coachmorin View Post
                        4. Went to take a ride tonight to confirm my findings...OH GOD.
                        There you go, that's the GS1100 that we know and love.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Good Gods.... that made me laugh.
                          Glad you got it sorted.

Still laughing!
                          Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500,
                          The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Comment

Originally posted by Arronduke View Post
                            Good Gods.... that made me laugh.
                            Glad you got it sorted.

Still laughing!
                            Now I'm starting to laugh at myself...

Comment

GREAT thread, this! Coach, you're a cool cat.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X