Engins Case Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engins Case Modifications

Pertaining to the GS1100 and 1150 engines.I have seen several different types of ideas from drilling holes, cutting out square places, etc. in the clutch basket area, and also the crankshaft area, opening up the area around the shift forks etc. Smoothing out any rough casting marks etc. I have even seen Pro modified cases stated in some articles. Is there any real benefits from this and if there is. Does any one have any pictures? I could see and possibly use in modifying my own cases. Or any diagrams and sizes of the holes and locations of these holes, rectangle cut out areas etc.. Thanks for any input.
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Sounds sketchy to me.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Sounds sketchy to me.
      Not at all! We cut out the cross under the trans to be able to change bent shift forks without having to take the motor out & split the cases. Holes are drilled under the clutch basket to get oil away from the clutch to reduce parasitic drag. You don't even want to see the epoxy from boring for 89 & 90 mm pistons & huge sleeves.
      Ray.

Comment

Zoiks. You know what you're talking about, Ray. It sort of freaks me out.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

i used to do the smoothing for the oil drain back...got old and once i thought about it and the weight of the oil...i stopped.
          thick oil doesn't drain back real fast no matter what.
          the removal of the cross section for fork changes on the bike is a must but i don't miss hot oil dripping in my face while changing the forks..

Comment

Thanks folks I always like to pick up little ideas that don't cost any thing and benefit the engines, make them easier to work on etc..
            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Call me, I will share my knowledge with you.
              Ray.

Comment

Found a cool article in Sport Rider magazine June 1995 about the 1100 GS's where Ward Performance did some work on them. Dyno results and all. and also an article about catching the ZX 11's with the 1150's back then also. I scanned and downloaded the articles to my PC but I can't send them to the Gsresources I guess because the file is to large. I have seen larger articles posted but I don't know how as of now. Any Ideas so I can share then with you all. Cyls. bored to 1166 10.25:1 comp. 1983 camshafts,105 degree centerlines, Crank rebuilt and welded, Back cut trans,I did find the K&N air filter #RU-1810 increased air flow by 12.3 % Ward used this with the 1150 36cv carbs 50 pilots and 140 mains stock needles when he Dynoed the intake system and was attached directly to the intake plenum and air box removed, Slight mods to the head by removing casting flaws, and some work in the valve seat area, netted an increased flow of 59%,135.5 HP at 8500 rpm 91.8 ft-lbs of torque at 6750 rpm Averaging the #'s they netted 80.2 ft. lbs of torque and 109 horses between 4000-10,000 for such a mild state of tune that should live a long life,

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
                  Found a cool article in Sport Rider magazine June 1995 about the 1100 GS's where Ward Performance did some work on them. Dyno results and all. and also an article about catching the ZX 11's with the 1150's back then also. I scanned and downloaded the articles to my PC but I can't send them to the Gsresources I guess because the file is to large. I have seen larger articles posted but I don't know how as of now. Any Ideas so I can share then with you all. Cyls. bored to 1166 10.25:1 comp. 1983 camshafts,105 degree centerlines, Crank rebuilt and welded, Back cut trans,I did find the K&N air filter #RU-1810 increased air flow by 12.3 % Ward used this with the 1150 36cv carbs 50 pilots and 140 mains stock needles when he Dynoed the intake system and was attached directly to the intake plenum and air box removed, Slight mods to the head by removing casting flaws, and some work in the valve seat area, netted an increased flow of 59%,135.5 HP at 8500 rpm 91.8 ft-lbs of torque at 6750 rpm Averaging the #'s they netted 80.2 ft. lbs of torque and 109 horses between 4000-10,000 for such a mild state of tune that should live a long life,
                  If you read this, it basically describes a similar motor(1166 10.25:1, CV 36, pods, pipe). The difference with mine, is more port work (20% increase in flow rate), larger 28mm intake valves and 0.340 Webcams v.s. the stock 83's and 4:2:1 for more mid range.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Mine tuned at 45 pilot jet with 135 mains and dyno needed near the bottom.

Comment

This is the type of street motor I build all the time. My 1166s are 140 hp at the rear wheel with mild cams & ride cross country reliability. 1229 makes a little more, 1327 a little more still & the 1385 is just STUPID fun & TORQUE!!!
                    Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      This is the type of street motor I build all the time. My 1166s are 140 hp at the rear wheel with mild cams & ride cross country reliability. 1229 makes a little more, 1327 a little more still & the 1385 is just STUPID fun & TORQUE!!!
                      Ray.
                      Just out of curiosity, what is the total cost to do one of those 1166's Ray?

And what would you charge someone to do it for them?
                      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                      80 gs1000s

Comment

Gregory, call me at 714--356-7845.
                        Ray.

Comment

Pertaining to the GS1100 and 1150 engines.I have seen several different types of ideas from drilling holes, cutting out square places, etc. in the clutch basket area, and also the crankshaft area, opening up the area around the shift forks etc. Smoothing out any rough casting marks etc. I have even seen Pro modified cases stated in some articles. Is there any real benefits from this and if there is. Does any one have any pictures? I could see and possibly use in modifying my own cases. Or any diagrams and sizes of the holes and locations of these holes, rectangle cut out areas etc.. Thanks for any input.

I don't like drilling holes under the basket. Clutch material tends to get trapped in this area. I also do not remove material from the cases unless I have to. If I tweak a fork or a rod, I want to pull the thing down.

Comment

Originally posted by geek View Post
                            I don't like drilling holes under the basket. Clutch material tends to get trapped in this area. I also do not remove material from the cases unless I have to. If I tweak a fork or a rod, I want to pull the thing down.
                            If you just race at your local track that is fine. Try traveling 5-12 hours to a race. You would wish that you could service the forks and rods through the pan. Ask me how I know. Dar

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                              If you just race at your local track that is fine. Try traveling 5-12 hours to a race. You would wish that you could service the forks and rods through the pan. Ask me how I know. Dar
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                              This EXACTLY!!
                              Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X