Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using another canister with stock MAC Headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We cut the mid-pipe off right after the valve. Cut the Mac megaphone a few inches into the flare, then cut a slot in the back of what was left. Folded that up around the midpipe and welded it all together. Then we cut a stainless bracket to go from the old footpeg mount to the muffler bolts, plus a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum bar stock to go to the muffler mount.

The valve? It went in that trash

I can post some pics if you like. If what you have is a GS450E or S, one of the best changes I made was to put some stock rear shocks from a GS850 on it. Much stiffer and better damped.

Kurt

Comment

Ah crud, you had to weld?! 8O
      If i can't find anything that will fit on the mac header without welding I'm just going to use the stock mac canister without the baffle.
      I'll order the competition baffle on monday.

:?
      Dm of mD

Comment

Yes, welding required. If you do most of the cutting, you should be able to get an independant muffler shop or a metal fabrication shop to weld it up for you for a nominal charge. Or maybe some kind soul here on the gsresources that lives near you would volunteer to do it.

Lots of mods require welding. If you can't weld it yourself, you should cultivate a relationship with a local fabrication shop.

Kurt

Comment

If you check out the chart you will notice that the jet size between the 2 are a difference of 10. If you have a Dyno jet subtract 10 to get the Mikuni of the same/close to the same size jet. If you have Mikuni do the opposite and add 10 to the jet size to get a Dyno jet of simular size.

Comment

Originally posted by gstaylor
            If you check out the chart you will notice that the jet size between the 2 are a difference of 10. If you have a Dyno jet subtract 10 to get the Mikuni of the same/close to the same size jet. If you have Mikuni do the opposite and add 10 to the jet size to get a Dyno jet of simular size.
            AWESOME!!

Thanks!!!
            I believe that may have been the "Rosetta stone" to figuring out how these mains work!!

Dm of mD

Comment

Woooowee!! Stock cans must be in demand. I haven't seen one cheaper than 50 bucks on Ebay. I'll keep looking for a Gixxer 1000 stock mid-pipe and can though
              The GSXR1000 mid pipe has a butterfly valve in it for exhaust tuning, which tends to raise the asking price. If you can get one, a GSXR750 midpipe and can should be virtually identical (I know the cans are interchangeable between all 01+ 600/750/1000 GSXR's) and they go for a lot less than the 1000 stuff.

Mark

Comment

Kewl, I'll keep the 750 in mind.
                The savage yard I go to are almost like family.
                They will hook me up with whatever for way cheap.

Does anyone know the stock pilot/mixture screw settings on a 1981 gs750L with CV carbs?? I can't remember what they are...someone posted them a few months back.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                X