Swingarm swapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm swapping

All this talk around here has me thinking of swapping the rear swingarm on my GS450S, then I can use a bigger than 110 tire and a rear disc brake.

Dimensions on my swingarm are:

From swingarm pivot mount through the chain adjustment range is 17.5 inches to 19.25 inches.

~8.25 inches across where the swingarm pivots in the frame.

~9.25 inches across where the wheel mounts.

What is out there that is close to this in length and swingarm mount width?

Thanks,
    Kurt

You might possibly be able to get a Katana 600 wheel in the stock swingarm. That's wide enough for a 140 radial and as big as a 160 bias. The 140 radial is what I'd try first. Radials stick like glue and do a good job of soaking up bumps to help the suspension. They'll let you run firmer settings and not beat yourself to death in everyday riding. I have one laying around if you need dimensions. Axle diameter is going to be a big factor.

Comment

Doubtful. A 120/90-18 barely fit in the stock swingarm (about 1/8" both width and height-wise)...it was so close I pulled it back out and went with a 110. This thing is REALLY tiny.

Kurt

Comment

See if this seller can give you some dimensions on this swingarm. It's off an SV so it should be narrow at the front. Maybe a newer GS500 swingarm would work.

Comment

No longer available for sale, so no email address

I have thought about the SV swingarms, even posted a dimension query the other day on the WERA forum, but have gotten no responses. Looks like a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Kurt

Comment

Check with Simon Waters, aka Bolder Biker, I think he has access to one.

Comment

On this board?

And what's this in your sig about 70/30 GS/GSXR? That 30 wouldn't include a swingarm, would it? Buddy? Old pal? GS700 swingarm might be the ticket.

Kurt

Comment

Simon got an SV for his son if I remember right. He does post here.

I've got a '93 GSXR swingarm I may graft on one of these days. For now it's stock with a 4.5" GSXR wheel on the back. Complete '89 750 front end.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwAFA4AVKRXdkkNRfWQcl0QpSflVo5NKpsUKm5u*7mQFKrzPL osFvOGdK08Q5h!OWI*kLtHDXuyslQibDBYWI25XqNZiuxSBiuy jZyDYNxwh!tgMQZz*3w/HPIM0063.JPG?dc=4675468666498952970[/img]

The GS700 is about 8 3/4" wide at the front. Too wide for your needs. The new GS500 or SV650 is probably your best bet.

Comment

A little more snooping around reveals that the GS500 guys use the Bandit 600 swingarm.

So, where to get measurements on one of those?

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                  X