exhaust recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust recommendations

Hey people, I am Looking to put a different exhaust on my 79" gs750 cafe. At the moment I have a Jardine Exhaust Muffler System that sounds great at high rpms, but barely noticeable when cruising around town and also not the sound I'm looking for. I want an exhaust that sounds crisp and has some bark to it. Any suggestions? Would also like to keep my headers if possible and just buy the exhaust to save some loot.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2015, 09:33 PM.

Contact Chris Redpath at MotoGPWerks.
    if anyone has an idea or could fabricate it for you, Chris is your guy.
    I have a Jardine exhaust on my Gs1000G by the way. Just had it ceramic coated and it looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by shark View Post
      I have a Jardine exhaust on my Gs1000G by the way. Just had it ceramic coated and it looks great.
      Hey, Shark, would you mind sending me a picture (or posting it here) of your Jardine? I have been told that's what might be on my 850, but nobody has been able to tell me for sure. Would be nice to see side and rear shots of the muffler, especially.

Thanks.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Why don't you buy a Harley muffler? they usually go real cheap.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Because they will make it run like crap, very restrictive.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Have a look on the bay at a seller called pro-race at their end cans, a good place and will make the can to take your link pipe do different stiles and they sound cool at hi and low ROMs.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Hey Tkent02 what exhaust do you plan on running with when you do the 550 to 650 big bore rebuild? My exhaust is completely shot and I will need a new one.

Comment

Crisp with bark to it??? Straight pipe. B(

Comment

For my own, I bought a gsxr 650 full one, if you want to make the gs 650 / 550 swap I think this is a good deal. The exhaust is made in stainless steel, and it fits to the motorcycle. The big advantage is that the Id of the tubes is 33mm, so it's bigger than everything stock you can get. For my own, I drilled inside the head to finish to 33mm, where the echaust starts.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    With the 1" baffle stop drilled out, they come alive. I've been running a pair of Dyna mufflers on the XJ the past few months, with good results even in stock form (baffle stop in place). There was an annoying slight sonic / gas mismatch between them, so I attempted to even them up a bit.
                    Hah; so much for that idea. The packing on one side was firmly stuck to the baffle tube and just wouldn't come out, and the attempt to remove the baffle tube dislodged the 1" plate.
                    Faced with the impossibility of replacing it, I removed the one from the other muffler and fitted the pair back on.
                    It's nothing like as loud as I thought it might be (two small pots per muffler, instead of one big one) and now has quite a nice crispy bark to it.
                    Also, it takes off like a scalded cat.
                    More testing tomorrow, and plug chops, etc, just to make sure of what's happening low, mid and high ranges.
                    If necessary (I'm no great fan of overly loud pipes) I can put some extra mesh down the centres, or fit cones on the ends.
                    This is the handy thing about only paying a quid for the pair - so cheap as to be near free and I've no hesitation about playing with them.
                    Last edited by Grimly; 03-30-2016, 09:13 PM.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Ace07 View Post
                      Hey Tkent02 what exhaust do you plan on running with when you do the 550 to 650 big bore rebuild? My exhaust is completely shot and I will need a new one.
                      I'd like to get something interesting like a stainless or titanium Tri-Y or something but not having any luck finding anything at all, I'll run the old 550 Kerker until I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        With the 1" baffle stop drilled out, they come alive. I've been running a pair of Dyna mufflers on the XJ the past few months, with good results even in stock form (baffle stop in place). There was an annoying slight sonic / gas mismatch between them, so I attempted to even them up a bit.
                        Hah; so much for that idea. The packing on one side was firmly stuck to the baffle tube and just wouldn't come out, and the attempt to remove the baffle tube dislodged the 1" plate.
                        Faced with the impossibility of replacing it, I removed the one from the other muffler and fitted the pair back on.
                        It's nothing like as loud as I thought it might be (two small pots per muffler, instead of one big one) and now has quite a nice crispy bark to it.
                        Also, it takes off like a scalded cat.
                        More testing tomorrow, and plug chops, etc, just to make sure of what's happening low, mid and high ranges.
                        If necessary (I'm no great fan of overly loud pipes) I can put some extra mesh down the centres, or fit cones on the ends.
                        This is the handy thing about only paying a quid for the pair - so cheap as to be near free and I've no hesitation about playing with them.
                        I had them on my 650G, that's the only time I've ever run them. Terrible power, terrible fuel economy, kind of loud but an annoying sound, Honda-like. I put stock 650G mufflers on and it was a Hell of an improvement. Mine may have been some aftermarket crap, dunno for sure.

Comment

I think my exhaust is shot. Whenever I took it off, I could hear the baffles rattling around.

Comment

Hi
                            I am wondering if a 4-1 exhaust system made for GS 550 77-80 could fit a GS 650 G / GT 82
                            Can anyone tell me?

Comment

I might be persuaded to sell my D&D muffler... I just replaced it with a "refurbished" V&H with no packing. Sounds pretty good, looks pretty good.

The D&D is in great shape, no scuffs or scratches, and has LOTS of crispy bark, lol. Make me an offer...
                              '83 GS 1100T
                              The Jet

sigpic
                              '95 GSXR 750w
                              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                              X