Getting more out of a 1982 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting more out of a 1982 GS550

I have a 1982 GS550L that I have been modding a little bit, shopped the front fender to shorten it. removed the rear fender and installed a LED tail light with turn signals built in to clean up the rear of the bike. Im waiting on a all in one LED Speedometer/tach to arrive. it has digital speedometer and a regular tach.

I have also changed the bars. I put Drag Bars on it.

Now I'm just wanting a little bit bore power out of it short of swapping the engine. is there anything I could do? Ive read of people shaving the head to raise compression. Is there any other cams that work in these bikes? what about swapping a different head on it?

Im not looking for any more speed I just want more power.

What have you guys done?

Would a exhaust help out at all?

So does this mean the 550 is running well and you need more to do? More power? Here you go , sell the 550 and pick up where this guy has left off and go crazy!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you shave the head, you will also have to slot the cam sprockets to get the cams back in time.

Installing pod air filters will make it louder and make it feel more powerful, but you will have to install a jet kit to take advantage of the extra air that can flow through the engine.

Installing a header might improve power a small amount, but not as much as you might think. The stock exhaust was rather efficient and matched to the engine, so you might only see another pony or two show up in the corral.

As they say, ... "there's no replacement for displacement". To make enough more power to feel it, you will have to go larger. If you want a 'sleeper', replace the top end with parts from a 650. It will give you 673cc displacement and will keep your 6-speed gearbox. It will be just about the same effort as shaving the head, as you will have to pull the cylinders to replace the base gasket. The only difference will be that you will also change the pistons and install a different cylinder block. Many have done that, with apparently good results. Or you can simply sell your well-running bike and get another project bike that has a bigger engine.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sell the 550 and get a bigger bike if you want to go faster. There are guys that punch them out to 650, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than a GS maniac.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes the 550 is now running good and I am bored lol.

But I really don't need a faster bike I have a couple bigger bikes at home already.

I was really just curious if there was anything I could do to give it better acceleration.

How about gearing?

About swapping the top end, is there any custom fab that needs to be done or does everything swap over from a 650? I like that idea. So I would need a 650 head and Block and 650 pistons? And a 650 Gasket kit.

Comment

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
            But I really don't need a faster bike I have a couple bigger bikes at home already.

I was really just curious if there was anything I could do to give it better acceleration. How about gearing?
            Yes, changing the gearing will help it accelerate quicker, but will also reduce your top end. The 550 is already spinning decently-high revs on the highway, so you will have to get used to that or keep the bike as a stoplight-to-stoplight racer.

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
            About swapping the top end, is there any custom fab that needs to be done or does everything swap over from a 650? I like that idea. So I would need a 650 head and Block and 650 pistons? And a 650 Gasket kit.
            I don't know all the details, but I think you only need the pistons and cylinder block. Might be some minor machine work, and that might only be on certain years. Like I said, I only know that it has been done, I don't know all the details.

Again, you are going to spend a few hundred dollars on pistons, cylinders and gaskets, then spend several hours doing the swap. Is all that REALLY worth a bit of extra "oomph"? You already have some larger bikes that can "scratch that itch", why try to force the little guy to fit in with his big brothers?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X