REV Limiter's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REV Limiter's ?

Ok, so i am putting this motor back together again. New shims, Shim buckets and the cam is being fixed after eating two shim's.

A Question of Possible over revving was asked by members here.
    Mega cycles says these cams are good up to 9,800 rpm's with this set up i have.

I still believe the E-bay shims gave up but..
    Is there a aftermarket rev limiter for these bike's. i know it is a cable driven tach.
    So it must be some kind of electrical coil limiter off the pick up ?
    Or what do you guys do to make one of some sort ?

just putting this out there.. Thanks..

Dynatek makes a rev limiter. I hope you aren't using stock valve springs!
    Ray

Comment

No. Not stock. i have over threads on my build ..

Thanks, i will look in to that..

Comment

Some stock GSes will go over to 10,000, so 9800 is nothing "special".

It would really help to know what bike you are talking about.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

It would really help to know what bike you are talking about.

Sorry i have a couple of post on this build..
          it's a 79 gs550 with a wisco 635 kit, mega cycle street/race cams, valve springs, some porting and CR custom 31 smooth bores..

Comment

Yes Dynatec make a very good rev limiter. And it' adjustable. Can't never tell when you miss a gear, or round out a trans dog. Excessive tire spin,I Back cut trans now since then. . I blew a clutch basket one time and wish I had a limiter at that time caused catastrophic damaged, Clutch basket backing plate, Oil pump gears. I was in third gear heavy load with a stock basket and it flexed taking out a lot of parts, Damaged the bearing retainer also. Cracked the ring gear and shattered the Hi Volume pump gears I think a rev limited might have saved some of it if not all. Got one (limiter) now and only turn it up when in race mode lol.
            Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 06-14-2015, 08:11 AM.
            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

It's NOT a stock engine Steve.
              Ray.

Comment

The cam is only a 380 lift with a 260 duration. the cam calls for .004". and with the new CR 31 carbs, it will rev over 10K if i pushed it, but i don't want to go that high because im told it could pitch a shim. that is why i want to limit it.

the closest i could get was 005" and .006" it did not run good at .003" or .002"

But the Bad news today is, after removing the valve i found that the Guide is cracked
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X