Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering damper installation

Hey guys
    just bought a steering damper for my GS1000E (1979), it came off a GS1000 26 years ago but the lad can't remember how it went on. I have attached a photo of the bits, the damper itself and the silver fork bracket are common sense but the black bracket with the machined pin is a bit of a mystery. The black pin with the bush at one end looks like it should be attached to the frame. Any help much appreciated

chhers

RB
    Attached Files

The black clamp goes on your downtube (usually the left one so you can adjust the thing when riding).
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for that, it is the machined pin that is getting me, I can fit it onto the frame and the black pin screws into the bracket but I can't see how you tighten up the bracket to the frame, the threaded part (obviously takes a nut) is just about impossible to get to. I will rig it up and take a photo

cheers

RB

Comment

Something along these lines ...?
        Attached Files
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

right guys does this look correct, everything is finger tight but does line up OK

Attached Files

Comment

and one other photo

cheers

RB
            Attached Files

Comment

Boy, that stands proud a bit, doesn't it? Looks like it does line up right, though.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                Boy, that stands proud a bit, doesn't it? Looks like it does line up right, though.
                Yeah, I was going to say, the one on my old Z1 was closer to the bike.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

That looks like the damper may foul the LH fork. Do things line up if you don't use that short black arm? One of mine hasn't got that bit and looks similar to yours.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Shouldn't the clamp be on the right hand stanchion? Look at the picture posted by GS1150pilot.

Comment

I thought the same thing, pospayr hit it on the head.
                      81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

good point about the right hand stanchion, will give that a try and see what it looks like.

watch this space, will post more photos

RB

Comment

Working...
                        X