82 GS1100G wont excellerate after dynojet, pipes and pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100G wont excellerate after dynojet, pipes and pods

hey guys, I recently picked up a very clean 82 GS1100G black with gold pin stripes. the bike had 8700 on the odometer and ran great . it was a blast to ride at first and the thing barely made a sound going full twist down the straight . after almost being killed several times but minivans and suvs i finally ponied up for some pipes off ebay and pods . i also bought an 8 valve Dynojet kit. the pipes weren't exactly right but some new rearsets and a turn down made them work and look pretty tough they sound great without a baffle. which finally leads me TO THE REAL ISSUE. stage three kit installed just like the kit says and the bike runs fine starts quick idles well 1000rpm revs quickly at 3 turns out on the metering (lil lean at 2.5). in gear on acceleration it blats out right before hitting the power band no GO!? cruises fine but cant hit it like i want to soooooo bad. i moved the e clip down the needle towards the point tothe 5th groove, no change i think i have a vacuum leak. or does that pilot plug need to come out that supposed to lean out the bottom end? and what should i do with the tubes that went to the air box ? im lost guys i dont have alot of time for trial and error. Any help would be greatly appreciated. just tried to add vid/pics and it wont let me.

the directions are ball park, change one thing at a time. main jets first on my 850 i ended up using stock idle jets.

Comment

Sell it and buy a LOUD Harley.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

What kind of pipes and pods did you get? You might want to try putting the baffles back in to see if that helps with your high end power. Properly tuning open exhausts is VERY difficult (near impossible) from what I hear. You might need to buy some bigger carbs and do some porting on your head if you're hell bent on running open exhaust. Might not have enough back pressure for that high end power.
        Also, try doing some plug chops. It doesn't take long at all.

Comment

Lad, you ain't got a clue how to tune an engine.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Or how to ride apparently. Who the heck puts pipes and pods on an 1100G?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My point exactly.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Put it back to stock and buy a LOUD HORN... there easier to tune than engines.
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by mjm821100 View Post
                  hey guys, I recently picked up a very clean 82 GS1100G black with gold pin stripes. the bike had 8700 on the odometer and ran great .
                  You had a 1982 GS1100G that only had 8700 miles on the clock, it ran great and you butchered it? Now that's a real shame.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

+1 on all the above geesh

Comment

Wow, I don't wanna pile on.
                      If I was gonna want loud pipes (retarded IMO) from my 1100G, I'd cut the OEM pipes where the mufflers connect, and fabricate a connector to some (puke) Harley end pipes.
                      As for pods, those are for race tuned engines, or chumps.
                      The jet kit?, well start at the 1st option and see how it runs, better or worse.
                      Talking about raising performance, well you'll need to study some more, just to understand our advice.
                      Best 'O Luck.
                      Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-13-2015, 06:28 PM.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Funny... I got the same reaction from the community the first posts I did. Might be a right of passage in this community.
                        Your a grown ass man and you can do what the hell you want. Just do it and learn.
                        It could be dirty carbs, tired ignition/coil/spark plug cable/spark plug or the fact that the exhaust is so free flowing there is not enough back pressure which I had no knowledge of until I read SocialAnomaly99's post. It might explain the hesitation around the 7000 RPM mark in 5th with my bike. Interesting.
                        I'm far from being an expert but the start with squeaky clean Carbs, adjusted valves, strong ignition, carb sync, exhaust. Never trust a previous owners work.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2015, 11:50 AM.

Comment

No one said the original poster could not do whatever they wish with their own bike.

I do have to question the reason for the straight unmuffled pipes because of almost being run over. Common sense and the laws of physics state the sound will go to the rear. Unless some really creative way to making the exhaust face forwards is done.

Now if the OP just wants a loud bike then that's slightly different.

Comment

It's just a shame to screw up a perfectly good motorcycle because a rider doesn't know how to manage riding in traffic.

Loud pipes do NOT save lives. They just annoy everyone else...

Comment

Its not a rite of passage, its just a bunch of judgy self satisfied keyboard warriors, doin' what they do best. looking down their noses and judging and criticizing but not helping. Because why would you help when you can ridicule?

Doesn't occur to any of them to politely try and unlearn someone of the bad habits or maybe bad advice they got somewhere else. Lets just make them look stupid, because maybe it will make us look smarter and better.

Comment

Working...
                              X