GS Crank Modifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Crank Modifications?

I been in the shop and deciding on some ??Crank Mods, Does anyone actually knife edge the GS cranks when they are apart? also polish them ,? Do yo uthink this helps a lot? Thanx Mike

you name it and it can be done

DSC04690.jpg I know this is a KZ but look at the mirror finish - WOW.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

DSC05296.jpg this is a GS and it has the rough edges sanded - just short of a full polish job.
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

As Trippivot says, anything can be done. Whether it's actually worth it is another question. Knifedging a plain bearing crank is worth it because there's usually a lot of oil around it...Less so i'd think with a roller crank as with the low pressure oiling there shouldn't be as much oil around the crank. In both cases a profiledLaverda crank.jpg baffle to strip oil away from the crank is worth doing. Another problem with the roller cranks is balancing after removing material...Yes, it can be done, but not many balancers want to try.
        This is a lightened and rebalanced Laverda triple crank. VERY expensive.....

Comment

Do A complete dissemble and inspection, Check all main bearings for faking or pitting at the oiling holes. Repl. if nesc. Ck. rods for any wear at the ends where the main bearings touch, and ck. for any deflection, Repl. all rod bearings if nesc. and install Katana rods if nesc. I believe to old part number supersedes to the katana number anyway (they are much harder,).Index ,true, weld and balance. Call (John) Pearson racing for some quotes in Ohio 937-839-9723 he will send you in the right direction for the usages you will be subjecting the machine, to. GRC does excellent work also,(Stan Gardner) Gardner racing concepts,207-664-0377. Both do excellent work at reasonable prices. I have not heard of much knife edging the rods on the roller bearing motors , mainly the plain bearing like mentioned above. Unless you are building a PRO STOCK then every little inkling counts. Lightening and knife edging the throws along with polishing them. I know in the old days when we were running PRO STOCK and time the motor started to loose a little E.T. or M.P.H. we would install a new crank and it all came back to running the numbers.
          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Not sure where you are at but I have a virgin small end crank 25mm with guaranteed good main bearings and the deflection is well within specs, And less the 10,000 miles on it has been sitting since 1996 wrapped in plastic, well oiled and then wrapped in a quilt. I have 2 welded ,trued, and indexed since then. It was a spare if needed but with work and other projects it has not been needed.PM me if you may be interested It was taken out of an engine with trans problems, That has since been backcut by Fast By Gast. It was indexed with an 18mm indexing rod back in 96 and was true. I was going to put it up for auction soon as the season allows. Thanks I would recommend external inspection and run it.
            Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 10-28-2015, 12:24 AM.
            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Hi Im in Waterloo ontario Canada. The idea of a windage crank trays sound but do any racers use on o ngs engines? I have seen a knife edges gs crank many years ago somewhere and polished, I dont think balance is a issue as long as the rods pistons are same, !! Thanx for the crank offer I currently have two new ones and 7 others sitting around the shop. What I need are straight cut gear set, 1100 ratio, !! Also some better tranny gears and parts, anyhow thanx Mike

Comment

Working...
              X