A Little at a Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Little at a Time

Since I brought my GS1000EN home in Jul 2014 I've slowly made a few changes to her.

This is how she looked when she arrived.

First thing I did was get rid of the bar-end mirrors and horse-drawn plow bars. Replaced them with some touring/superbike bars, Napoleon mirrors, offset control levers, and nicer grips.
    Replaced the control cables with GS1000SN cables.
    Also removed and sold the case guards.

I bought a Telefix fork brace from a GSR member. After some serious media blasting and a few coats of gloss black epoxy-based paint, I installed the brace.
    I also swapped out the stock headlamp for a Hella unit.
    Also removed a disgusting paper air filter and replaced it with a K&N.

I replaced the fork seals, installed new Progressive Fork Springs and filled them with 15W Maxima fork fluid.
    I also cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. Discovered that two of the 4 pilot jets were completely clogged; I replaced all 4 with new ones.
    While I had the carbs off I replaced the intake manifold boots, O-rings and fasteners.
    The stock points ignition was replaced with a Dyna-S unit and 4 fresh NGK plugs.
    Then I adjusted the valve clearances, replaced the tach drive seal, O-ring and synced the carbs.
    The fiber clutch plates and springs were swapped out and replaced with OEM plates and Barnett springs.
    I replaced the MAC exhaust system with a new Vance and Hines system; trimmed 5 pounds in the process.

Next, I replaced the Kawasaki-looking seat cover with a Pit Replica replacement. It was an exact copy of an original OEM seat.

The most recent upgrade was a set of Tarozzi Rearsets.

I still have to reinstall the grab bar; I'm just waiting for the seat to settle in for now.

I also have a set of slotted rotors and black-vinyl-coated braided SS brake lines to install.

I like what you've done with her. How's she run? How much on the clock?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

She runs pretty well but I think she can run much better. Still dialing in the carbs. The difference in idle RPM from cold to operating temp is like 600 RPM. She has about 23.5K miles on the clock.

Comment

Bike looks great and sounds well taken care of. Some great parts you've put on her, I really like the setup of my Tarozzi rearsets, very comfortable on my 78' 1000. I have the same as your but I really want to get a black set.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Bike looks great and sounds well taken care of. Some great parts you've put on her, I really like the setup of my Tarozzi rearsets, very comfortable on my 78' 1000. I have the same as your but I really want to get a black set.
          I'm swapping out the knurled aluminum shifter side tab with a rubber sleeved one; it'll only cost about $10. I really didn't like the look of the black (dark grey) set. I really like the look of the aluminum set. That shifter tab is tearing up the toe on my boots though.

Comment

The shifter tab arrived last night; going on as soon as I get a couple of minutes.

This arrived over the weekend; installed it Sunday.

Pretty high quality battery, I must say...

Comment

Very nice!!!
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

oohhhhhhh.........
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                X