Compression & leakdown test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression & leakdown test

I have a 82 GS850G with 56k on it. During my general tune up and valve check I usually do a compression check. The compression was low 115-130 PSI (supposed to range between 128-171). I'm not burning any oil,(no smoke out the exhaust) and I haven't lost any power. I checked with a local bike shop mechanic and he said he wouldn't worry about the low compression if I not seeing smoke out the exhaust he did suggest a leak down test. What is an acceptable psi loss in a leak down test. I did 1/2 ounce of oil in the cylinders and the compression raised 20 PSI. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks. Bob Shaw

No smoking,no increase in oil demand.- still plenty of power...... I'd skip worrying. My bike has about same mileage. I figure the valves will go first!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks, I don't want to get into the engine if I don't have to..

Comment

I have an 80 850L with 52,000 on it, not great compression but runs like a striped ape with little oil use. Run it as is.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Have you adjusted the valve clearances yet? If not do it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Well, who want's to open up an engine anyway? (DIYer stampede here)
              Of course you've lost power, don't be ignorant.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Warm up the bike and then do a compression test, if you pour in oil you will screw up the test result.
                Pouring in some oil is a way of testing worn piston rings, in your case: changing piston rings will probably help gain some power and compression back.

If you don't need/use the power leave it as is like all the others are saying here

Comment

Did the compression come up after you adjusted the valve clearances?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Compression stayed the same. It only increased after I put half an ounce of oil in the cylinders. Rings may be worn but as I said I haven't lost power and I'm not burning oil. I'll leave it alone. Thanks again...

Comment

Working...
                    X