Slider Clutch Oil Choice??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
    sorry guys I saw it on the horizon and should have known better. Porsche? 2 cycles? how does that apply to a 4 cycle 4 cylinder GS Suzuki using a slider clutch? can you say apples and oranges? geesh already - 1 more post today and I'm going to back work - on a race bike.

automotive spherical molecule oils get sheared to nothingness in a Suzuki GS that has a transmission bathed in a single oil - so motorcycle specific oils are like gear lubricants, wafer shaped. Harleys and your Porsche reference have separate engine oil and trans lube just like most ALL 2 cycles with 1 huge exception ,, 2 strokes BURN the roller crank lubricant - so a power valve in the exhaust is more important to a chemical designer than a roller bearing.

I do agree with ArttuH post 100% -- also like to add changing is dangerous if you don't do a 2 change flush before really racing it - that's when catastrophic failure is most likely to occur let alone changing the clutch tune. some have learned that the hard way - me? I listen to the champions.

so I have to ask John Park, what makes your slider clutch work best? for me it is a JASO spec 5W30 non D.O.T. ATV oil designed for 4 cycle solid lifter engine/trans combination type. 2nd choice is Brad Penn - like every other GS/Z/KZ dragbiker I know.
    I don't have a 'slider clutch'. I was just trying to put some context into roller bearing cranks and how they don't have the same needs and problems as plain bearings. And I wanted to add that perhaps all oils - not just synthetics - can cause hydroplaning of crank rollers. The problem was around long before they became available.
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Thanx Guys. I never ran synthetic in anything but my 15 HP Snowblower. I have seen rusting inside engine camshafts that sit a lot from synthetic oils. This was on camshafts which are normally covered in oil!!! My specific question wasn't to do the synthetic vs dino oil debate at all. I was just told and read also use only 10-30 weight in my new slider clutch. Just wondered why? I prefer dino oils and like the delo 400 oil line. Also brad penn green stuff. Thanx Mike Hey where do I find a USD fork assembly for my 1150 project?

Comment

Working...
      X