Potential Group Purchase - Wiseco GS650 741cc pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys,

I just heard back from Wiseco. They took a 3-d scan of my 650 head and said the drawing they sent me is correct!!!! I have already signed the drawing giving them permission to start manufacturing the pistons!! I am not sure when they are going to ask for the money, but I would like to start collecting from you guys now. If you guys pay up front you will get the piston sets at my cost and without the additional cost of the loan interest. I am asking $335 dollars up front. That is $80 a piston and $15 dollars for me to ship it to you guys. I will give everyone until 5:00 pm on Friday July 8th to pay me up front. After that I will take out a loan to cover the rest of the cost.

To pay me just PM me and I will send you my email address so you can send the money via paypal.

After all this time we are going to get these silly piston made!!!!

Thanks to everyone for all the help in getting this project rolling!!

Thanks,

Andy

Comment

Great to hear, Andy the Ace!

I may unfortunately have to throw it together for now with 673 pistons (wife taught me how many times/miles you can run a GS550 roller bearing engine with the oil light on... uuuugggghhhhhhh....), which prompted me to get on the ball to solve the missing induction system links on my end.

Yes, the vm28 kz1000 carbs appear to be able to directly swap into the gs550 rack using the gs550 fuel tee and couplers/rails.... but....

Turns out the gs750/850/1000 kz750-4/Z1-Z900/KZ1000 carb spacing lines up from what I can tell darn near PERFECT with the GS650 intake ports, wow!
      The only issue is that the cam chain tunnel protrusion interferes with the carb rack. The gsxr and gs650 intake boots I have here are about 37mm tall, or rather head surface to end of carb mounting area, but the GS & KZ vm26/28 boots are a good but too short to bring the carbs away from this cam chain tunnel protrusion. And the vm26/28 intake boots have a bolt pattern that is not as wide as the bs32/bst33 carbs have that match the 650 head.

The gs650 and gixxer/katana carb boots are generally all offset up and over, but the Mikuni VM boots generally seem to go straight on with no offset.

In regards to the spacing issue and head tunnel intertference, I quickly ran out to the garage to look at my GS425 engines... BINGO! Almost all issues solved!
      They have an "insulator" and gasket bolted to the head to extend the carb boots away from the head further to clear the cam chain tunnel area on them, and it looks to be the same spacing as the gs650 head and brings the carbs out just far enough!

I bought 4 more on ebay from seaching used parts under "Suzuki GS400" & "Suzuki GS425" to find listings for whatever name the seller decided to call these until I found 2 sets for cheap.

I'm not sure if this will bring the carbs out any further toward the rear of the upper double spine tubes on the feame, but long pods on a 5t0 don't ever fit well. Since these are now GS&KZ 1000/750 spacing, we can run my favorite open element air filters that are much more slender front to rear, the K&N RC-2222:

Here are 2 pictures of my GS750 with the K&N RC2222 dual oval universal filters on my vm29 smoothbores (both carbs and filters got stolen a week after these photos!!!) In the NE West Virginia (VA border) mountains. You can see lots of clearance to the frame spine behind them. An area where 550's have very little room - the reason why the similar lunchbox type filters and 88-97 600 katana carbs would be slightly problematic. I was very concerned about filter options not fitting those. We'll have to ask Boonton Mike what he did in this department, as these k&n lunchbox katana dual oval filters I have here are twice the height or horizontal installed depth as what the RC2222 filters are.

I'm not 100% guaranteeing this stuff will all work together, but aside from the bolt pattern difference between the vm26/28/29 intake boots and the 650 head/425 spacers, I am pretty certain this setup will be the hot ticket.

Also, this means VM29 smoothbores can be swapped right on!

The synch ports on gs750/1000's are in the heads, so I believe the better and cheaped choice may be 79 or so kz1000 vm28 boots as I believe they have the synch ports in the boot. You could also drill and tap them into these 400/425 spacers.

A machinist could also easily make up a replica of those 425 spacers with more meat to rotate the vm28 boot slightly away from the 650 head bolt pattern so the spacer would bolt to the head seperate from the carb boot, as one of the vm26 boot bolt holes is stacked halfway over the gs650&gs425 head bolt holes for the boots. I may slot the used vm26 boot bolt holes and use large washers to apply pressure more inward where the boot was intended, just to get it by for now.

Very excited to say the least. Now if only a Wiseco 740cc gs650e engine with megacycle cams and vm29 smoothbores would fit into my Rickman frame without custom exhaust headers, I'd be set!

This is getting better and better, and I'm thinking that if my wife gets a kz1000Ltd 1075cc tourer (since she blew up her 550 and wants a bike NOW), my gs550 rebuild for her will still be something she very much chooses to ride over the 540lb monster kawi.
      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I'm using those filters, with the 650's BS32s, it fits but it's a bitch to install and it is hitting the frame.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm actually having a new airbox 3-D printed. I designed it in solid works, and I'm going to have vacuum hoses running to the carburetors that way all you have to do is pull off the hose is in the cards will come right out. It is really nice to have a girlfriend who is going to a design school because she has access to all the cool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I'm using those filters, with the 650's BS32s, it fits but it's a bitch to install and it is hitting the frame.
            My buddy is going to measure his bs32's when he gets home so I can compare them to vm28's. I'm good with "hits the frame" as long as I can fit a large surface area filter like that on there. The K&N pods for the gs550 are pretty tiny. Okay for a 550, but not so much a 673 or 740 performance build.

I had toyed with the idea of making my own Henry Abe style breadbox type filter using a k&n airbox filter, & oem velocity stack type factory airbox boots. Then some aluminum sheet with the rim tig welded together, or get the top and bottom cut on a cnc mill out of billet aluminum plate.
            Henry Abe original breadbox:

There's also this filter that I found out about from CB forums, the Ram-Flo. Comes with the base uncut, you cut in your own spacing and add your airbox boots.

EDIT- photo should be fixed

What the CB750 forum guys were saying is get the 400 series with the uncut base to adapt to any carbs.
            Bottom of page,

COMPLETE AIR CLEANER WITH BLANK BACK PLATE
            B40 ---- $48.00 (I believe that is for one, not a pair)
            Last edited by Chuck78; 07-01-2016, 02:40 PM.
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Can't open the Ram-Flo pic...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Photos should be fixed.

Scroll down to bottom to see the blank base model, which I believe is $48/each, not $48/pair:

COMPLETE AIR CLEANER WITH BLANK BACK PLATE
                B40 ---- $48.00
                (You drill your own mounting holes to fit your particular carburetor)

400 Series Ramflo Air Filters 400 Series Ramflo Air Filters
                Dimensions for the 400 series of Ramflo air filters are;
                Length 177mm
                Width 113mm
                Height (depth) 50mm

Blank base model 400:

"Another air filter option for the CB lovers is the RAMFLO 400 series filters. The Lynx Corp. that's located in Australia is now making them with blank base plates. Drilling holes is no problem, just have to figure a way to mount them to the carbs." -dlhoulton from sohc 4 CB forum thread
                Last edited by Chuck78; 07-01-2016, 03:02 PM.
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  I have the RC-2382 kit on my 650. They clear the frame, but they touch each other between 2-3. I'm actually talking with Steel Dragon Performance about velocity stacks now.
                  1983 GS650G
                  Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

Hey guys I didn't realize that PayPal had a fee when people send you money. I am sorry I should have known that but I never used PayPal before. I would like to increase the price to to a flat $350 dollars to cover the PayPal fee. I am guessing that the PayPal fee is a percentage right?

Comment

*** SEND AS FRIENDS AND FAMILY "GIFT" - no fee then
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Pretty sure it said no fee when i sent mine. Im not sure which box i ticked though so maybe it is charging me a fee as i maybe didnt tick the "friends and family" box

Comment

Oh ok. So do I need to check the box then too? If the charges will go away then I will bring it back to the 335
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

No it's just on the sender's side, unless you send them an invoice for goods or services first
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know again that the dead line to get the pistons at my cost is Friday July 8th by mid-night. I know I originally said Friday at 5, but then you wouldn't have time to send the money if you are at work. The price of a full set is $335 and that includes shipping, just please mark the friends and family box in paypal, so I don't get charged a fee. So far I have had 3 people buy a set of pistons each. I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thanks,

Andy

Comment

Did I read that we need a 650 head for verificication. I have a spare 650 head on my shelf I could mail to weisco...
                                You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                                If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                                1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                                1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                                1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                                1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                                1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
                                X