Potential Group Purchase - Wiseco GS650 741cc pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boris.h View Post
    ok, so, I called my french wiseco distributor yesterday. He checked the K740 reference, and he confirmed me that it was not possible anymore to manufacture them for wiseco, or it will cost a looot of money.
    Well, we already confirmed that your French distributor was wrong! They just didn't do any research into this. I'm sure they did not want to make an international phone call to find out the real deal.

Thanks to Ace's help, Wiseco told us they WILL re-make a special run for US, The GS Resources forum members, and they are not really available through your French distributor unless the distributor contacts the same person at Wiseco that is doing our run and gets in on it.

Perhaps you could save on shipping if you had your set sent straight from Wiseco to your distributor as part of one of their regular shipments? May not be worth the extra hassle however.

He advised me to forget that kit and finish with stock pistons. If there is no other feedback, I can confirm you that it would be difficult to get them.
    It's not difficult to get them at all! We have already made tentative arrangements with Wiseco to have them manufactured! You could order 3 sets RIGHT NOW if you had $500 US Dollars per set. We are waiting to try and get 7 sets total purchased, so that the price will drop to $380 per set of 4. Much better deal.

Boris, the only thing that you are confirming is that your French distributor did not want to do any work for you to try and get some, and that you did not realize we already have a deal set up with Wiseco tentatively.

He advised me to forget that kit and finish with stock pistons.
    did he put a dial bore gauge in your cylinders and measure any wear or ovalization? Did he look at them for any gouges, scratches, scuffs, scrapes, or other wear or damage? maybe he doesn't realize that you can not purchase factory oversized pistons any longer for engines that need the cylinders bored out to get back to new spec. That is what we will have. Brand new spec sealing rings to cylinder walls, plus a whole lot more compression and more displacement @ 740cc 10.25:1 instead of the stock 673cc 9.4:1.
    Your Wiseco distributor is clearly just not wanting to help you out and does not know that good piston manufacturers do custom runs all of the time.

We will have brand new cylinder bores, brand new pistons, brand new piston rings. At $380 for a set of 4.

Last time I checked, a set of OEM Suzuki STANDARD BORE piston rings and new circlips cost close to half of that.
    We need to $140 USD for cylinder boring and honing, but really with stock bore you would want to give it a proper machine shop Sunnen hone job just for new stock bore rings, which would probably cost $50 USD to run stock pistons and new fresh OEM rings.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Ok, thanks a lot!
      I know that maybe my french distributor does not want to work for me, just for one set.... I can understand that.
      So, It's not an issue for me to order that kit to anyone else, like you or another distributor.
      --> so, if you count me, how many are we now? I'm ready to order if possible..;
      Not a problem for me to re-bore I can do

thanks!

Comment

Hi! For those who are interested now, I can lauch manufacturing. It's a bit more expensive but they can start now. It is not wiseco but another piston manufacturer.190$ per piston with axis rings... Who is ready now?

Comment

Oups sorry double post

Comment

Wiseco can start right now for $125 per piston.
            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

If you're in a hurry get those. Most of us want to wait for various reasons. I don't have an engine to do right now, just don't want to miss the opportunity when it happens so I'm in, just don't want to be in right now. I'd also rather sell a couple bikes first. I'll do it if I have to, but I'd rather wait.

Who is your manufacturer?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ok nice! 125$ each right now is a good deal.
                But : how can I order them?

Comment

Well I am on board with ordering them any time. Sooner the better now. The only problem borish is we have to have a minimum of 12 Pistons. I might be able to swing 2 sets of Pistons. It's just pricy for me. You and me are eating to buy them now, borish.

Comment

Ok, so if you take 2 sets ace07, there are 12 pistons..? If it is sufficient to make an order, I think am yours

Comment

new gs guy here....potentially interested. when would this be happening? gotta start saving a lil bit.

i haven't done the 550/650 swap yet, but have pretty much all the parts minus gaskets. i'm thinkin of putting the hybrid motor together first (haven't put a motor together before, but have wired a whole car, turbo kit, suspension, etc)

so would we be looking at pistons/rings/pins , boring and then getting a different headgasket for the oversized swap?

Comment

Hey frankenwabbit,A couple of the guys are waiting to save money for the Pistons as well. Me and another guy are ready to order now. The minimum order we have to send to wisco is 12 Pistons and they are 110-115 dollars for the piston rings and wrist pins. The boring you will have to have done somewhere else.

Comment

Is that price per slug or price for the whole set?

Comment

thanks Ace07 for the info.... what about headgasket/basegasket?

Comment

I think we'll have to get special one, for the headgasket, because this is an oversized kit. For the basegasket... a gs 650 one would fit, I think

Comment

The price I gave is for a piston a set of rings and a wrist pin. Borish is right if you look on eBay there is still a few big bore 650 head gaskets. The base gasket is just a standard 650 gasket. There are a lot of those on ebay

Comment

Working...
                                X