No announcement yet.

Potential Group Purchase - Wiseco GS650 741cc pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm getting there....just hard to find a gasket for these pistons....or maybe i'm looking in the right places!

Comment

I intend to make a copper gasket for mine.

Comment

Not to be harsh either. But I revved the 673 well past 10500 numerous times and it keeps on making power. This was with 550 cams and stock 650 head and pistons. I rode a real bike with a real engine. I firmly believe the stock valves and head are more then adequate. Carbs, ignition, exhaust and gearing will all give WAAAAYYY more benefit than head work. Also, cams if you decide to drop the coin.

Seriously, unless anyone does one of these builds and does dyno runs. All any of of can do is speculate and guess. Also Web Cams makes a bunch of cam profiles for this engine. They are pricey though.

PS- I bought all the head gaskets off ebay for this swap. So I have source to 3-4 of them
        Last edited by boontonmike; 04-27-2016, 01:47 PM.
        1978 GS550 E
        673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
        New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
        for playing in the dirt

Comment

I'll take one, and I'm ready to buy the pistons too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If we have 7 sets ready to order, I could probably do this in 3 weeks
            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Mike, are those 65mm NOS Wiseco head gaskets? or stock bore gs650 gaskets?
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Well the way it stands we have 7 people interested in one set a piece and here are thier names Ace 07Chuck78Tkent02BoontonmikeTooheysFrankenwabbitCol tThere would be 8 if your friend is wanting to buy a set now. Ok does anyone know how these group buys work? I have never done one before and I don't know the best way to go about it. I would like to get these things ordered as soon as possible. I don't want to be rude and leave anyone out though.

Comment

Many group buys we go directly to the company, terms need to be set as to price / quantity and such. Manufacturer can set a date to close the purchase and finalize the terms.

Other way is someone fronts the full purchase and accepts the full order then ships the individual set out. But that can be real risky.

Comment

I talked to wiseco and they said it would require it to be a single bill/purchase

Comment

Looks like you or someone needs to collect information, set a price and terms and I expect collect the money via Paypal or how you choose. We buy in and wait till items ship.

We should receive a guarantee that you hold our money to cover the purchase and should you determine the minimums are not being met and this falls through we get our money back. You then determine if more pistons should be ordered for future sales.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2016, 04:19 AM.

Comment

is there any way wiseco would be willing to make a run of the over bore head gaskets as well?

Comment

I am not sure if they will do the gaskets or not, you might have to check with cometic to see if they will make you one. In terms of ordering the Pistons, I can do that if everyone trusts me with their money. If someone wants they can get a contract drawn up. I would promise everyone there money back if it falls through. Once the Pistons are ordered I would even post the reciept. If anyone else wants to do the task of ordering I am fine with that too.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenwabbit View Post
                            is there any way wiseco would be willing to make a run of the over bore head gaskets as well?
                            Definitely not, someone else is going to have to contact cometic and send them an OEM GS650 head gasket. They have cad files for the gs650, but they have in the past had issues with old old cad files that weren't terribly accurate. Ask bwringer about that, I believe it was he that said how off some of them were.
                            When Ace or someone contacted Cometic it sounded like they were aware of the issue I mentioned here and much preferred a good oem gasket to copy.

Not sure if new or used is okay / preferred. Compressed thickness could tell them almost as much as new unused.

Look on the oem gaskets / schematics and see if they used rubber (probably viton, actually) inserts on the corner stud holes that also double as oil pressure passages.
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Ace07 View Post
                              Well the way it stands we have 7 people interested in one set a piece and here are thier names
                              Ace 07
                              Chuck78
                              Tkent02
                              Boontonmike
                              Tooheys
                              Frankenwabbit
                              Colt
                              There would be 8 if your friend is wanting to buy a set now.

Ok does anyone know how these group buys work? I have never done one before and I don't know the best way to go about it. I would like to get these things ordered as soon as possible. I don't want to be rude and leave anyone out though.
                              I think Boontonmike may be out, are you following this thread still Mike?
                              Looks like he's entertaining selling his GS as his hare scramble interests take up most of his time & he has a gixxer for the street.

My buddy David "drey6" (new-ish member/lurker on here - doesn't post because I usually spew gobs of GS resto/mod info at him instead ) is highly interested still
                              He's working on his 550 heavily as of lately, new job, just told me he hopes he does well in the next 2 weeks to get a bigger paycheck as he is shooting for joining the group purchase.
                              If he can't this paycheck, if anyone else bought a 2nd set up front, David would surely buy it shortly thereafter.
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Overbore 65mm. I will keep them available to you guys. I scooped just so they wouldn't disappear. I'm still on the fence. I tend to not know what the heck I want depending on the day of the week.
                                1978 GS550 E
                                673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                                New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                                for playing in the dirt

Comment

Working...
                                X