Wider OEM wheels for 85 750EF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wider OEM wheels for 85 750EF?

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but it is designed to improve performance, so here goes ;-)
    Wondering if there are any wider wheels in the OEM style, that will fit on to my 85 EF? I seem to recall that 1150 wheels could fit the bill, but can't seem to find (I did search) a definitive answer. Want to keep the 16/17 combination, but get closer to 3"/4" widths F/R...
    Thanks!

sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Magic! Thanks!

Comment

Glad to help.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The only other stock looking way would be to use early 18" GSXR wheels... Let me know if you want an 1150 3.5" rear. I have one for sale.

I did a 5.5" GSXR rear on one of these with a 3" GSXR front. Was a lot of work!

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My wheels are the gold/aluminum combination. Is your 1150 wheel the same? Would it be a direct bolt-on, or?
            Thanks!

Comment

FWIW, I posted a note to Joe to ask about his project, but no response. Anyone know if he is still around here?
              Also, I just picked up a complete 1150 front end, including both front and back wheels, rotors, callipers, etc., so should be well on my way to duplicating parts of his fine example!
              Lastly, anyone know what he might be referring to with the "B 12" reference re: brake stay? Thanks!
              Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2016, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Yeah he is. Maybe he's too busy. 1150 parts should bolt right up. Personally i would ditch the 16 front for a 17. I went to 17 years ago, '89-'97 gsx600/750f (katana in U.S.) fork assy and rear wheel is a great cheap way to get new radial tires, and much better brakes. Had that set-up on mine for a while. Here is a pic.
                Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

B12 means 1200 Bandit

Comment

Oh, the Kat parts bolt right up too, same steering head and rear wheel bearings. You'll only need to mess with the steering stops on the bottom triple tree, easy to do.

Comment

Hey Dee! The bike still looks great! Not sure if you remember, but I was on here a few years ago with an '83 ES as well, and I think may have gotten some parts off you back then. I think I found the same pipe you have on yours for my new '85 EF project!
                      Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                        Oh, the Kat parts bolt right up too, same steering head and rear wheel bearings. You'll only need to mess with the steering stops on the bottom triple tree, easy to do.

Do you know if the gsxf 750 parts will bolt on just as easy on my gs 1150 ef 86'? My neighbour parted his 93 gsxf 750 so i have easy access to the parts. Which parts would i need to convert it to gsxf wheels?

Comment

You would want the entire front fork assembly, from handle bars to the wheel. Entire rear wheel including brake caliper and mount, sprocket and carrier. And all spacers and the axle. I don't remember if the sprocket carrier will work or not, may have to get a shallower one. Same steering head bearings, just need to modify steering stops. Swingarm on 1150 is almost the same as the '83-'85 750's. gsxf wheel is a tight fit, have to spread the swingarm apart a tiny bit and whittle the spacers a bit thinner (or make new ones) and bend or replace brake-stay arm to clear tire. All of it is not hard to do. Once you have proper wheel and chain alignment the rest falls into place. And it could be returned to stock without any modifications.

Comment

So if i get this right the complete fork assembly will bolt right up, but what did you have to do with the steering stops?

And in the rear i may need to spread the swing arm (how did you do that safely?) and shorten the spacers a tiny bit?
                            What about the rear brake caliper, does it require any cutting welding to fit the EF swing arm?

i think ive read somewhere that a sprocket carrier from a gs500e from early 90's would fit and help with linig up the chain?

Sorry for all the questions man, i just saw your post going through the forum and saw the pic of your bike and instantly fell in love with the look! And beeing that my neighbour has all the gsxf parts needed i think its ment too be that i do this

Comment

Working...
                            X