Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences Between 80 and 82 GS1100E's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences Between 80 and 82 GS1100E's?

Kind of off topic here, but the question relates mostly to future performance upgrades...

I have been shopping for an 82-83 1100E for a while now and nothing has come up. I have found an excellent condition 80 1100E with a bunch of work done (new chain set, V&H pipe, fork seals, etc.) that sounds pretty good. Before I go crazy and fork out actual money, I am wondering if there are any significant differences between the 80-81 generation 1100's and the 82-83 generation (besides the cosmetics)? I plan to do a major rebuild of this bike over time, with new forks, 17" wheels, big brakes and a serious engine hop-up (1166 kit, flatslides, cams = big power ). It will be a street bike and ridden daily to work, and for weekend fun, that sort of thing. Is there any reason to not look at the 80 1100?

Thanks,
    Mark

No not really. The cosmetics are really different. The frames are a little different, to support the new body. The engines are practically the same. The rear suspension is the same, the front is antidive on the 82-83 models. The 83 has different wheels (more like 86-87 GSXR). I think power output increased in 82 a little which was probably camshaft related. The cams will interchange though.

The 80-81 = A wolf in sheeps clothing.
    The 82-83 = A wolf in wolves clothing.

-=Tim=-

Comment

One MAJOR change will be the crankshaft end on the 83. By far the best and will eliminate a lot of future problems. That end can be put on the earlier cranks but then you have to get the electrics and starter clutch to go with it. Just something to think about. I personally like the 83 with the black engine....hey what about a 1150?

Comment

The end on an 80 crank shaft was considered hollow. It has an oil galley going through it and is a weak point. Ask me how I know. My new crank is an 80, but falicon put a billet left end with a small taper on it.

Comment

I personally like the 83 with the black engine....
          Me too, it's just really hard to find them in this neck of the woods. I missed one this spring due to lack of cash at the time and have not seen another 82-83 model since.

hey what about a 1150?
          I find the 1150's not at all attractive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there is no beauty there for me... Great motor, if I was building a custom frame for a GS motor, it would be the 1150 most likely. But the stock styling leaves me gagging.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Mark

Comment

The headlights over the 4 years of 1100s range from anything between 6" and 15" round or square. That's one big difference.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

about 2 years 8O 8)

Comment

82s had a pressed crank. 83s were welded cause all the 82s spun apart. I think 82 was the first 16 valve head with roller rocker arm bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Biggerstaff
                  82s had a pressed crank. 83s were welded cause all the 82s spun apart. I think 82 was the first 16 valve head with roller rocker arm bearings.
                  Are you sure about roller rocker arm bearings. i dont have my book here with me but i don't remember the rollers being any where except on the mains and the big end of the con rods.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                    Originally posted by Dave Biggerstaff
                    Are you sure about roller rocker arm bearings. i dont have my book here with me but i don't remember the rollers being any where except on the mains and the big end of the con rods.
                    On the ones I have worked on (all 83 and newer) there were no roller bearings in the head. Not that I would not mind that!! But again, none of my 83 cranks were welded. Maybe I have only the low power versions.

Comment

The mistake a lot of people make when talking about Suzuki welding later cranks is that they expect it to be fully welded, this is not the case.
                      Only the two crankpins either side of the primary drive gear are welded.
                      Needle bearings in the rockers is another one I dont agree with , I have just rebuilt my SZ model Katana (7/81 build date)and whilst I did not fully disassembe the rocker shafts there were no bearings in there.
                      The differences between 80 & 83 GSX (GS 16 Valve to the US) is one the left hand outer crank end was englarged to 35mm and an oilway was removed, the clyutch hub was modified slightly, and the two crankpins either side of the primary gear were welded, cams and carbs were changed and I believe there is a small difference in the porting of the head.
                      Dink

Comment

Working...
                      X