Manual cam chain tensioner problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual cam chain tensioner problem

I have a manual cam chain tensioner, the package said GS 1000, 1100, 1150 on it. It is a Suncoast part.

I purchased it for my 83 1100 ESD. When I put it in it is not long enough to tighten the chain. So I put the auto adjuster back in. The engine has 90,000 km on it and the chain measured as per the factory manual is barely worn so I did not change it.

The engine runs fine but has a top end noise, engine is a fresh rebuild. The noise sounds like a sewing machine? Like a tapping noise so I am thinking the rebuilt auto tensioner is not doing its job.

There is also a new rear cam chain slider. The engine has 1150 cams with adjustable gears. 105/107 is where the cams are set.

So as I am writing this I guess there are 2 questions.

Is is it possible the manual adjuster is incorrect?

What could the noise be?
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

FWIW, for some, there is a mystery chain/valve noise that happens to some.....and then it mysteriously goes away. absolutely nothing in the diagnostics showed what it might be. Happened to me.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

A quick check showed two different stock camchain tensioners for this year/ model. Maybe the manual tensioner works on only one.
      As to tapping noise, have you recheck valve clearances in case you got a "false" clearance during last check?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That's interesting Tom! May have to look further into this.

The noise is not a normal one, I may have to pull the cams and put the stock ones back in at factory timing just to go through the process of elimination.

I had a look down the cam chain tunnel but could see no problems.

Checked the valve clearances after the first run, they were where I set them, .004". I will check them again however!

She starts instantly and revs very quickly and freely.

Thanks for the replies.
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Did the tensioner have APE stamped on it?
          Speed Merchant
          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

No it did not Jay. Can you tell me the length of the adjusting screw on the APE unit?

Thanks

Comment

Moved, see here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...96#post2301396

Comment

Working...
              X