GS1150E/700/750ES Bar Risers/Spacers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150E/700/750ES Bar Risers/Spacers?

Has anyone made spacers to fit underneath the bars of the 1150 (and I suppose the later gs700/750?)? Ive got a GS1150 front tree on my GS1100E and Ive got the lower style bars from a fairing model. I love the way they feel (and look) for about an hour or two so of riding, but after that my wrists and neck start getting sore and tired. Ive got a pair of GS700ES bars that are allot higher and more comfortable on long rides but I don't like the feel of them (too high and the angle feels wrong) for short back road riding. So I was wondering if anyone had made spacers (maybe 1") to fit underneath the bars to raise them.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

raising the tubes in the clamps 1" may/will make you lose your air fork crossover alignment.
    besides that i see no problem to machine the spacers and use longer bolts for the clip on to tree attachment.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      raising the tubes in the clamps 1" may/will make you lose your air fork crossover alignment.
      besides that i see no problem to machine the spacers and use longer bolts for the clip on to tree attachment.
      Is that bolt the locates the bar to the tree even necessary? I like the low rise on my EF bars but don't like the swept back angle so was thinking of seeing how much I could straighten out the angle without hitting the fairing and that would mean eliminating that bolt. Aftermarket clip-ons seem to work fine without it. OOPS!, just looked at the parts diagram and there is no clamping bolt, just the locating bolt ...oh well, maybe an aftermarket clip is in order.
      Last edited by Sandy; 06-16-2016, 03:12 PM.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

for some reason i'm seeing the GS clip ons without a pitch bolt.....hens the bolt to hold in place.
        i could walk to the garage and check :0

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          for some reason i'm seeing the GS clip ons without a pitch bolt.....hens the bolt to hold in place.
          i could walk to the garage and check :0
          Did that, you are correct sir.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Yep, no pinch bolt. The bar slips onto the fork, then it has a little ear where it bolts to the top tree.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Yep, no pinch bolt. The bar slips onto the fork, then it has a little ear where it bolts to the top tree.
              Ive had these on for about 15 years. Telefix. Ebay purchase. Fully abjustable. They didnt slip entirely onto the fork before touching the top tree, but have never moved either. I did have to trim the plastic cover a bit.

GS1150Pilot had a set for sale a while back. Not sure if it was the same as these though.
              http://
              Last edited by dorkburger; 06-16-2016, 03:29 PM.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Years ago i had bars on my 750 from a katana or a xn85, i can't remember exactly.....
                Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I'll be giving my set to Frankenzuki for doing me a big favor a while back. I just bought GSX-R suspenders that are set up for regular bars.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

I appreciate all the great ideas and tips guys. I think Im going to get a $20 pair of "drag bars" (the ones with the slight bends) and cut some of the center section out of them and put them into my gs700 clip on holders. Then I will try rotating them to see of I can find a comfortable position. It may not work but I'll only be out my time and $20.00. Lol
                    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Will the bars be strong enough if cut in their center portion like that?
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

I don't see why not. The GS700 "clip on" riser/clamps are basically the aluminum brackets that hold 2 pieces of 7/8" steel tube. All Im going to do is pull out the 2 pieces of straight tubing and replace them with 2 pieces of slightly bent tubing. The stock "tubes" have a little notch cut into them that the bolt slides through to keep it from vibrating out. After I get them adjusted I'll grind a little spot in them and should be ok. I noticed that the gs1150 clip on bars look like one piece (bar/riser/clamp) and this wouldn't work on those.
                        Of course I might get done and realize that its not comfortable with the "bent" ends either and go back... but that's what experimenting is all about.
                        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I love the philosophy of experimentation.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Yah, its not like I'm working on a mint original and destroying its value. I'm working on a mildly customized machine that I want to fit me and my style of riding.
                            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Trust me when I say I understand. My 1150 is becoming less stock every day, and that is a good thing.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X