Oil cooler project for '81 750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler project for '81 750e

Looking for project outlines or links to parts for installing an oil cooler on a '81 750E.

Can just tap the filter cap cover and with a ss line to cooler then make a custom fitting that replaces the oil cap for the out line.?

Trouble is finding the parts oil cooler and lines and fittings?

Thanks in advance.

How "stock" is the engine?

If you have a stock engine and are not racing, there is probably no need for a cooler, especially in your area.

Why do you feel the 'need' for a cooler?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You mean like this ( he says cryptically) ....... This may be available soon along with lines and oil cooler.

Its on an 82 750E - ignore the large hole and conrod making a rare guest appearance though

IMG_0206.jpg
      78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
      82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
      83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
      2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
      Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Stock other than the exhaust and jetted carbs. Thought it might have been a little hot and with all the newer bikes being liquid or oil cooled or both it would be an upgrade?
        Also seen some other bikes like the one here https://youtu.be/VovsTR_-S2w

Comment

A cooler is nice insurance if you do a lot of city stop and go driving.
          I wonder of anyone has real metrics on how hot the oil gets in those conditions.

I do know that in the height of summer my legs are in pain at a traffic light.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The 2nd generation 750's had real issues with their oiling system. Spun rod bearings and trashed heads/rockers are quite common. Only mod I'd perform is shimming the pressure relief spring to increase oil pressure. Adding an oil cooler will cause a pressure drop in the system and that's the last thing you should be doing.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Pretty much. But was just going to route the return back around the side to be sure it circulates if had to cut a new filter cover?

Comment

Adding an 1150 cooler and filter cover made a huge difference in my oil temp.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Let me see if I have this right...

Some guy posts a photo of his engine with a rod through the side of the case AND a tapped oil filter cover, and you want to use this same setup? On an engine with known oiling system issues?

Also, realize that where you pick up the oil makes a big difference in how oil flows through the system. You need to grab the oil after it runs through the filter, not before. And simply grabbing oil flow off the filter cover and dumping it in the crankcase will reduce pressure and flow in the system and is NOT recommended.
                  Last edited by Nessism; 07-06-2016, 06:01 PM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I guess my inner English irony didn't come through ...... I will say that every 1000/1100 I've owned has responded well to an oil cooler .

on the 750 I wouldn't comment either way , however , they do not have the same reputation for durability and while cooler running oil is a good thing - low pressure isn't .

this particular example was massively over revved (while static) by home mechanic who obviously thought this was the answer to fouled carbs

other than that it was in great shape - image.jpg
                    78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                    82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                    83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                    2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                    Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Rob,
                      Although both are 16V and look similar, the oiling systems are very different.

Comment

Only mod I'd perform is shimming the pressure relief spring to increase oil pressure.
                        could you point me in the right direction to do this upgrade since i've already got my 81 1000 torn down? or should i even bother?

Comment

Originally posted by john wiggs View Post
                          Only mod I'd perform is shimming the pressure relief spring to increase oil pressure.
                          could you point me in the right direction to do this upgrade since i've already got my 81 1000 torn down? or should i even bother?
                          You don't need to do that on an 8 valve GS engine. If you do proper maintenance, they will run forever as is.
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            No it didn't. (the Suzuki engineers did well in this regard ... you're trying to BS the wrong group of folks)

Adding an oil cooler to this engine has about as much effect as removing the centerstand to reduce weight on 700lbs rolling down the road!

(geez, next you'll be trying to tell us you hit a bump in the road and got all Evel Kinevel flying 250 feet in the air!! )
                            1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Okay, I'm curious. I was interested in the oil cooler thing for a while and finally decided it just doesn't matter on the 8v engine. Where is the benchmark at which an oil cooler might be a good idea? I'm rocking a 1979 GS550. I use Kerker pipes, shortie pods, retrofit electronic ignition with slight advance, 10% ethanol in my fuel (thanks a lot CA), and I twist it up close to 5 digit rpm in 100-110 degree temps as well as sitting at some streetlights. I'm still in the zone without an oil cooler, imo. Or would it make a difference for me? I think knowledge of the point at which the cooler becomes worth having might be useful to the OP and me. "Never" is an acceptable answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X