Mikini RS36 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikini RS36 carbs

Hello all. Im new to the forums and looking for some insight on carb mods. I have a stock 1977 GS750 That I may be doing a 850 kit on in the future. What are everyone's thoughts on using the rs36 carbs on a 750? What would I need for intake boots? Is this too much air and gas for that motor as it sits? Anything will help thanks guys

I am sure no expert on this, but I can tell you that is waaaaay more carb than a stock 750/850.. heck even a stock 1150 needs. If it was a CV carb it would be allot more forgiving.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

It's definitely not more than a stock 1150 can use if set up correctly, but it seems a good bit more than an 850 can use.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Keep in mind that the 78-79 GS1000 used the same carbs that your GS750 does. 26mm VM. You will be fine. If you want an improvement, try finding some 29mm smoothbores. Dar

Comment

could try VM 28's with a accelerator pump - I would probably use a sanding roll to clearance the rubber insulators.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Thank you all for the info. I did end up snagging a set of rs36 mikuni for a deal of a life time so hopefully I can make them work.

Comment

Assuming this is for the street ,I would sell them or swap for the correct sized carbs

Comment

We built one years ago ,ran well and we put 29 smooth bores on it. They were great carbs.

Comment

I remember trying to get 36mm carbs to fuel properly on a tuned GS1000 with a flowed head, lumpy cams and a 1085 kit......... It was a nightmare for street use and I swapped them out for 29's which worked vastly better 95% of the time.

bearing in mind it was about 15-20 years ago .... If you want to continue you'll need Z1000J inlet rubbers and a Dremel to elongate the mounting holes for alignment
                  78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                  82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                  83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                  2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                  Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

I have mikuni RS carbs on my '93 GSX1100G .
                    I found pics/information : http://www.mikunipower.com/RS01.htm

I've cleaned them twice before even riding and confident I could do a rebuild next time (first time was scary but they are easier than diaphram carbs I've heard). Second time I spent about 11 hours one sunday because couldn't believe the jellied ethanol, burnt rust , failed kreme and dirt stuff in there.

I have 140 main jets and 20 pilot jets.

She's a real gas guzzler, no joke, a homemade remote gas bottle 16 ounce gets sucked in in moments!
                    I ride about 14 miles a day to work recently and it seems like about a gallon per day.(ATLEAST)

Been keeping tank topped off because there is no fuel pump anymore (PO) and I really don't know how it'll run below the level of fuel tube(???) (Can't risk missing work to find out)

when I got her there was NO muffler on the 4-1 header and flames would shoot out...reminded me of an airplane.
                    I converted a scrap swingset 2" pipe with perfect bend to fit the late model Triumph 900 muffler was first, because I have neighbors...

Also I put some cheapo chrome pod filters off ebay.(because had none) They're very decent, just don't filter much. Problem is with the RS there's tiny jets that will spray MORE gas vapor into intake at full-throttle )like she needs it) BUT these 54mm filters are necked down boot inside that probably restricts air flow for that function. I'm planning on making a longer tube to fit the filters remedy that issue.

Oh, the idle adjustment is on top and impossible to reach with the tank mounted (for my bike anyway). it's a pain I fixed too slow idle by adjusting that, rather than the mixture when I tightened up the exhaust for inspection.
                    Safest way would've been a gas line extension from actual tank rather than ...

The throttle is unlike anything, care is needed just following a car in parking lot for instance, one pull too much and gonna nail car...
                    Proper wrist position is important too because one actually could accelerate, and wind up yanking the throttle and it really goes off like a bullet at 3/4 to full.
                    1/3 throttle is for racing cars so they don't feel too bad then once they give up and fall back I like to give it 3/4 to full (which is barely more turn on grip) just to show them who they're trying to mess with in their piddly sportscar (whatever car so far)...

A push and pull throttle is essential due to some issue with the vacuum of air at fully open slide causing them to stick open by the way.

Ranting really but the RS is an awesome heart IMO, it should be easy to rebuild after couple cleanings too.

Comment

Sounds like something is off if you are getting 14 mpg (unless you meant 28 miles round-trip)!
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                      X