D port head? Is it worth it on a 1000g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D port head? Is it worth it on a 1000g

Just wondering if it'd be worth it on my 80 gs1000g that im putting together. I plan on keeping the stock exhaust but pods in a month or so.
    I build Pipers

Not if you aren't building a hot rod. If you WERE, then yes.
    Ray.

Comment

Any gain at all on a stock engine, Ray? Putting an 1100G top end on my 1000E engine, have the D port head but will it do me any good?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Id say its leaning twards being a hot rod but with stock exhaust
        I build Pipers

Comment

Basically wondering what kinda power itd make with the 11g head, pods and proper jetting
          I build Pipers

Comment

At sea level
            I build Pipers

Comment

Also are the combustion chambers the same size or will i need to deck the head to maintain the factory compression ratio?
              I build Pipers

Comment

My opinion is...... you may notice an easier performance improvement by replacing the stock exhaust system with headers - if they're still available and not priced off the moon. It's also my opinion that the advantage with headers is not that they make significant power improvements, it's that they weigh less which is a performance improvement.

If changing the head has shown power gains and it's not a budget buster, you might also have .010" or .020 taken off the head and at least lap in the valves prior to installing. You may also need adjustable cam sprockets or you can slot your existing ones. That way you can play with cam timing a little should the urge strike. I'm guessing there is sufficient adjustment within the cam chain adjuster that no work needs to be directed there.

OK, I admit I don't know the differences between the two head designs you are referencing to. There is an old old book on the design of intake and exhaust systems that I read years ago. I gave the book to a pal who builds supercharger conversions for Lycoming aircraft engines. He's done a lot of work putting different shapes of exhaust flange inserts between aircraft cylinder heads and the exhaust pipes. He has a dyno for a/c engines. These engines are 360 C.I to 540 C.I, but gas is gas.

Amazon has books on the subject: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...gn%2Caps%2C261

Comment

Working...
                X