Tuning setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
    All of the childish banter aside. Just making sure I'm clear. Because my bike is loud, I'm a "moron" too? Hmmm, I never made the connection...

Nice forum attitude...
    I don't know about being a moron. You may be a pretty intelligent person. However, if your bike is obnoxiously loud, as in straight pipes or an un- (or barely) baffled header, you qualify as a jerk in my book.

I don't mind the nice "growl" of a baffled performance header, but open pipes are silly things used by immature, insecure, attention whores.

Comment

Well, I do have the Baffle in my V&H, there is just no packing in it. Not on purpose, I got it that way, and I personally like the growl it has. Obnoxiously loud? I don't think so, but others could I suppose.

I just think this guy got jumped for little to no reason. He's not riding with open headers down MY block...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Well, I do have the Baffle in my V&H, there is just no packing in it. Not on purpose, I got it that way, and I personally like the growl it has. Obnoxiously loud? I don't think so, but others could I suppose.

I just think this guy got jumped for little to no reason. He's not riding with open headers down MY block...
        That's the same as no baffle. It's obnoxious and childish on a street bike.

No, he may be on your block, but he is giving motorcyclists all over a bad name.

The same as you are.

As I told him, I hope he runs it lean and holes all four pistons. I hold the same sentiment for you.

Comment

Just making sure I'm clear. Because my bike is loud, I'm a "moron" too?
          Originally posted by JJ View Post
          I don't know about being a moron. You may be a pretty intelligent person. However, if your bike is obnoxiously loud, as in straight pipes or an un- (or barely) baffled header, you qualify as a jerk in my book.
          Fortunately, you and I have different books.

I appreciate a quiet bike probably more than most on this forum. After all, I have a Wing, which is about as quiet as you can get with gasoline power. I have ridden with Spyder and his "loud" pipe. I have no objection to it. Yes, it's noticeably louder than stock, but it is not objectionable to my ears.

Yes, some will always object. Yours is obviously louder than stock but still in the "tolerable" range and should not upset too many of the neighbors. At least not with the way I saw you ride on the way to, and while at, the Brown County rally.

Originally posted by JJ View Post
          That's the same as no baffle. It's obnoxious and childish on a street bike.
          No, he may be on your block, but he is giving motorcyclists all over a bad name.
          The same as you are.
          As I told him, I hope he runs it lean and holes all four pistons. I hold the same sentiment for you.
          No, it's not the same as no baffle. Yes, there is still a bit more quieting possible with some packing, but there are different styles of baffles that have different amounts of noise reduction. The baffle in my bike is quite different in that it is not a straight-through type, so there is a BIG difference when it is removed. I have to be careful with the packing that I install, too, since the exhaust has to flow THROUGH the packing. Usually, you just wrap some fiberglass matting around the baffle and it controls the echo between the perforated pipe of the baffle and the outer shell, but that will block the flow in my muffler. I have to use coarse stainless steel wool, and it does a wonderful job.

While I appreciate a quiet bike, too, I can also appreciate something that is a bit louder than stock. The original poster's MAC 4-into-1 without a baffle is undoubtably in the "obnoxious" range, but having ridden with Spyder, I would not dump him into that same category.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you Steve, I appreciate that.

I do actually have the plan to play around with some steal wool packing to take the "edge" off of it...
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              No, it's not the same as no baffle. Yes, there is still a bit more quieting possible with some packing, but there are different styles of baffles that have different amounts of noise reduction.
              OK Steve. I trust your judgement when it comes to just how "obnoxiously loud" a bike is.

Spyder, please accept my apology for ASSuming something I don't personally know about.

Comment

No worries...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

Comment

Does anyone know some smooth bore carbs that with fit my bike from a newer 1100 that will give performance gains I'm just wondering if there is such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by andrews gs View Post
                    Does anyone know some smooth bore carbs that with fit my bike from a newer 1100 that will give performance gains I'm just wondering if there is such a thing.
                    There are no newer bikes with non-CV carbs from the factory, CV's were used on everything to get decent running while meeting the emissions rules of the day. I think the GS1150 carbs will fit and offer a bit of a boost, but they are still CV's. Some install GSXR slingshot CV carbs but they are designed as semi-downdraft and take fiddling to get working well on a GS. If you really want smoothbores you will be buying a set of Keihin CR's or Mikuni RS's and paying $$$ for them. They will provide a noticeable power increase, though.

Regardless of what you use it will need to be jetted and set up for your bike. You already have a set of carbs that will work fine once you sort them so you might as well start there and move on to the aftermarket stuff if you need/want to at a later date. You seem to be disappointed that a 33 year old unfaired bike won't break 120mph and now are looking for 'performance gains'. Perhaps you should simply buy a newer sport bike and be done with it? Unless you spend serious $$$ on your 1100E it is never going to be faster than a 5 year old 600 and nothing you can do will make it handle anything like a modern bike, it is simply too big, heavy and flexible.

Mark
                    Last edited by mmattockx; 08-25-2016, 12:24 PM.
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by andrews gs View Post
                      Some of the bikes outside of the US used some flatslide "pumper" carbs (Ive got a set of 33mm off a 750 Canadian model), but like mmattockx has pointed out, the CV carbs are probably the best all around carburetor when tuned right. They allow you to have a broader "usable" powerband on the street and get better gas mileage. However, the "RS" and other pumper carbs should accelerate faster under really aggressive driving, but at the expense of mileage and possibly "low rpm/high load" power loss.

I am in the process of getting some of the late model "slingshot" 36mm carbs tuned for my internally stock gs1100e and even though they aren't quite right yet, they feel so much stronger than my stock carbs with a jet kit. I can't outrun any modern 600cc sport bikes, but I doubt theres many "Sport/touring bikes" or "Cruisers" that I couldn't run down. lol
                      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I just love the look of a older bike if anything I can save money up to get a better set of carbs at the moment I have 3 sets of carbs for my gs1100e. One set I used for parts and the other I wanted to set up for trips and cruising and another for the track. It took me 4 months to save up for my tachometer I bought if I found a used set of those $$$ carbs they could be cheaper but I don't know many people who have those because of how expensive they are.

Comment

Working...
                        X