Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G Camshaft sprocket 450 vs 490 ?

Hi
    I am working on a project of upgrading my good old GS860G with a GS1000G engine, US model, with Mikuni Vacuum carburators.
    Should be an easy job but .... gosh ...
    I bought an GS1000G, all parts except the frame. I unfortunatly found out that the engine block had been welded, and I found an empty engine block.
    No problem. Then I found out that the cylinder head was broken. Could not be welded. So I found another Cylinder head, but that was for the EU market. Different intake for different carburators. I finally found the correct head, which I bought with a complete engine, that was broken.
    Great. Oversize cylinders and pistons, almost new. But ... had a broken valve guide. I had it replaced. I have just mounted everything and have run into a problem. The 2 camshafts has the number 490 stamped in the sprockets. The other engine had 450 stamped into the sprocket. I have mounted the 490, but have a problem with the shim size on the first exchaust valve. The shims at the others are 2,60 to 2,45, but this valve .. even 2,0 is to big. I am thinking if it can be the camshaft that is not ok, as it looks like it has been hot. So I am thinking about putting the 2 camshafts with the sprocket 450 in.
    I can not remember if it is where the broken valve guide was, but that should basicly not cause this problem, as the valve rests in the valve seat, and that looked fine.
    But I really wonder why I have 1 set with 450 and 1 set with 490.
    I think the 450 is the correct, but I can not find any info about 490.
    The camchain fits perfect on the 490 sprocket. It is a new endless camshaft chain, D.I.D.

Can anyone help ?
    Cheers
    Morten, Denmark
Working...
X