oil pressure gauge??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil pressure gauge??

I've heard about putting an oil pressure gauge on Gs850s, but where does it go?

Look on the right side of the engine. It's the bolt in the notch between the ignition cover and the clutch cover.

Why do you feel the need? Hopefully you realize that these are low-pressure engines. When started cold, you likely will not see over 10 psi. When warmed up and going down the road, you might see 3-4 psi.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It will vibrate the hell out of the gauge and not last very long.

Comment

Why one would bolt a precision gauge to an engine is beyond me. A gauge measuring pressure or temp should be mounted remotely with a isolator style mount. Use flexible tubing to provide signal for the gauge.

Secondly, mounting a gauge down there causes you to take your attention off the road and what is in front of you, not very smart

IMOP, the oil pressure is so low on these bikes the light is probably the quickest way to oil pressure problems. After all how many of these engines do we see fail due toil pressure failure?
        Last edited by Fjbj40; 09-17-2016, 07:37 AM.
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

The large bolt seen in the picture is at the end of a lateral oil galley that then takes oil up to the top end of the engine. Lots of oil pressure gauges out there but if you do mount in that position, get an liquid filled gauge and one that is meant for low pressure applications. Looking down at a 120 PSI gauge and not being able to read will be the result if you don't use a low pressure gauge. You may be able to find a handlebar mount, low pressure gauge that is liquid filled. Many aftermarket auto gauges have a bunch of adapters where you can screw the adapter into the place where the bolt went and then run a thin oil line up to the gauge. The gauge might even come with electrical leads for keeping it lighted for night riding. I can't comment on whether the gauge will be prone to failure from vibration but most handlebar mounted gauges will be rubber mounted so there may be some benefit there but the main benefit will be the ability to look at the gauge without seeing your right shoe while riding down the road.

Another thread on this forum about oil coolers showed a nice pic of the pressure gauge mounted in the engine location:
          This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

You can buy this gauge on eBay for a bit over $50. The seller has been critized in other posts for giving the impression that these products are Suzuki products. They are not even thought he seller uses the Suzuki logo on his auction pictures. Doesn't mean I know the product is bad, just the auction tends to mislead a bit.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2016, 11:58 AM.

Comment

This is a link I posted sometime back for a handlebar mounted oil pressure gauge. With this repair the gauge is much more robust. If you look at the link the hinges are very unacceptable to vibrations. The classic solution is to put the gauge in oil as it tends to damp the high frequency motion.
            Most dash gauges that have a light are all 2" (52mm) and are not oil filled. The one I'm using is a boost pressure which is 0-15 psi.

I have a brand new in box gauge and a modified one as well if anybody is interested. Perhaps even a extended stainless line to extend up to the handlebar.
            Last edited by posplayr; 09-17-2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              This is a link I posted sometime back for a handlebar mounted oil pressure gauge. With this repair the gauge is much more robust. If you look at the link the hinges are very unacceptable to vibrations. The classic solution is to put the gauge in oil as it tends to damp the high frequency motion.
              Most dash gauges that have a light are all 2" (52mm) and are not oil filled. The one I'm using is a boost pressure which is 0-15 psi.

I have a brand new in box gauge and a modified one as well if anybody is interested. Perhaps even a extended stainless line to extend up to the handlebar.
              What are you asking for the gauges?

Comment

Originally posted by maddman View Post
                What are you asking for the gauges?
                Are you interested in a setup to go on the bars for both oil pressure and Volts (lighted gauges). If so I will dig then out an post pictures. I sold the long stainless line unfortunately.

Comment

Are you interested in a setup to go on the bars for both oil pressure and Volts (lighted gauges). If so I will dig then out an post pictures. I sold the long stainless line unfortunately.
                  Sure, post some pics.

Comment

Looked like this

Options here

Comment

how much are you asking?

Comment

Perhaps a oil pressure switch hooked to ignition coil power for power disconnect as oil pressure hits zero may be a thing to have? In all the years fiddling with these engines only once have I had a oil Pressure Loss, Not counting the rods through cases and stuff like that. That is a total oil loss ,ha ha Mike

Comment

Way too many gauges. Looks like an old school airplane.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                          X