Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.5" GSXR wheel in stock GS1150 swingarm (does it actually fit?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.5" GSXR wheel in stock GS1150 swingarm (does it actually fit?)

I have been working on the 1150 and need to know how much of an offset front sprocket I will need to run the GSXR 4.5" wheel in the 1150 swingarm. Can anyone running a similar set-up give me info?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

A first order estimate is the offset is approximately 1/4 of the difference in wheel widths.

Comment

I'm guessing that would be about 3/8" ...
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        I'm guessing that would be about 3/8" ...
        why not use arithmetic?

I don't know if there is a differences in offsets between an 1150 with a 3.0" rear wheel and an 3.5" rear wheel but

4.5-3.5/4= 1/4"

The basic premise is that the chain is spitting the space between tire and frame. Now increase the tire by X-width and the chain needs to slide over by X/4.
        Last edited by posplayr; 09-19-2016, 10:05 PM.

Comment

I was using the original wheel measurement, which was 3" as a basis. It would seem I have 1/4", 3/8" and 5/8" options in offset countershaft sprockets through D & G.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            I was using the original wheel measurement, which was 3" as a basis. It would seem I have 1/4", 3/8" and 5/8" options in offset countershaft sprockets through D & G.
            The simple way to do this:
            1.) is to mount your rear wheel and center it (use the insides of the swing arm forks)
            2.) use the string method to align it the front and rear wheels.(makes sure the rear wheel is straight)
            3.) put washers behind the countersprocket till the chain is parallel to the rear wheel.(increase as required)

+/- 1/16"-1/8" is close enough

Comment

About what I figure, and why I'm hovering between the 3/8 and 5/8" offsets.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
              X