Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your daily dose of stupidity.. or is it ingenuity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your daily dose of stupidity.. or is it ingenuity?

So the other day i cut these baffles out of my 1980 gs1000
    The bike made wonderful amazing sounds now!! So then today i decided to do this little ghetto trick my buddy did to his skunk a few years back it made the throttle a little more sensitive and open faster.. i actually took 2 more links off after .. so after riding it like that i noticed a major flat spot at half throttle, so i thought ill just move the needle up a notch and see how she likes it.. but no adjustment notches.. heres what i came up with... and before you get upset at me and say oh that's never going to work, it worked amazing! No flat spot at all!!
    Then i decided i needed something else in my like for yall to scoff at me about so i did this .. this thing is a completely different animal.. literally pulled the front wheel off the ground about 2 or 3 inches in second gear and held it there for a good 30 feet... and for the grand finale don't mind the rust on the outside of the plug my bike is a whore and sits outside lol
    I build Pipers

Kinda like watching a stone age tribe discover metal smelting.
    Good for you and your tribe.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Hahahahahahaha
      I build Pipers

Comment

Did you drill out the lift holes at all?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

On the bottoms of the throttle slides? No, i couldn't find my drill.. but im happy with how it turned out i honest didn't expect any gain but its like a totally new bike
          I build Pipers

Comment

Ok, complete noob here - I can just about infer what was done here with the majority of the pictures, but what's up with the springs?
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

On the cv carbs the springs hold pressure on the throttle slides.
              I build Pipers

Comment

Not sure if you realize but putting the plastic spacer under the needle clip doesn't cause any lifting action. The lifting occurs as a result of removing the plastic spacer from on top of the clip because the spring under the needle pushed up until the needle contacts the plug in the slide. This is all well documented in the carb rebuild tutorial and within numerous older posts here. You have done a good job of reinventing the wheel though.

As for chopping the CV slide spring, that will slow down the throttle response. The opposite of drilling the slide and opening the vacuum passage which is what Dynojet recommends. You are going backwards there.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  Kinda like watching a stone age tribe discover metal smelting.
                  Good for you and your tribe.
                  Post of the day!
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Well id did what i wanted lol thats all i know..
                    I build Pipers

Comment

Not sure that makes sense less spring tension should let the slide up faster in theory.. and i did notice the throttle was crisper afterword.. idk i know the bike is very different now in a good way
                      I build Pipers

Comment

Shorter spring is stiffer, too, not sure which would have the bigger effect. If it runs better that's a good thing but I'm kind of curious what actually happened.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                          Not sure that makes sense less spring tension should let the slide up faster in theory.. and i did notice the throttle was crisper afterword.. idk i know the bike is very different now in a good way
                          By removing coils you increase the spring rate. Depending on how much you remove it can really change the characteristics of when and how the slide opens. It should make it begin to open sooner but should make it open more slowly as it begins to open. Its relative though really, as I think on a smaller engine/heavier load, that a slower opening slide could be beneficial (Dynojet includes inserts on some of their kits to make the slide holes smaller and some kits use stiffer springs). I think if it works for you then youre heading in the right direction for your combination.
                          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

As mentioned above, you could have just removed the plastic spacer all together since putting it below the e-clip does nothing. You can use small washers above the clip to fine tune the needle height.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yeah i understand the spacer part and the increase in spring rate, kinda like when you chop springs on a car lol
                              I cut so much spring out that the top of the carb only sits about 1/16 off the carb when unbolted where as before it was well over and inch
                              Last edited by thebrandonbeezy; 10-24-2016, 10:47 AM.
                              I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                              X