Extended arm poss. problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended arm poss. problems

I have been thinking about installing this arm on my bike. Bottom view to show strength. But the shock mounts are in the stock location just 4 inches further back. Which will lay the shocks down at such an angle I don't believe they will work properly by possibly binding , I have thought of longer gas shocks but the angles will be the same . I have thought of fabricating some extensions but I am afraid it will make them weak side to side I was hoping on some suggestions before I make a dangerous mistake, Struts are my last choice but am willing to try them just to see how it will ride.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 11-15-2016, 01:06 AM.
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Another pic. angle aon the arm

This is another picture of the arm I am thinking about. Top view showing the mounts. All suggestions or comments, and ideas will be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 11-15-2016, 12:18 AM.
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

A good machine shop will be able to make and weld new bottom mounts. They might even be able to cut your old ones off and re-weld them.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

No problem laying the shocks down, but they WILL need to be longer shocks. The springs will also need to be stronger, as the increased angle changes the forces applied.

I am wondering about the strength of the extension. There appears to be reasonable bracing side-to-side with the diamond plate (really?), but it just appears to be some square-section tubing tacked on to a stock(-ish) swingarm. Not much bracing in the vertical direction.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X