Oil temp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil temp sensor

I have an 81 850G parts bike with a couple of odd parts on it. The oil filter cover has a temp. sensor, but what is the added terminal on the oil pressure sensor? Another temp sensor?

Is it really necessary to watch the temperature of these air cooled engines? I saw another thread on an oil cooler and wondered what benefit it would have. Obviously it cools the oil, but is the performance hindered by higher temps, or maybe melting internals?

Showing my ignorance here, but just want to learn.

Thanks,
    Roger
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

The white plastic "sensor" is a flow switch to detect loss of oil flow.
    The other sensor is a temperature sensor which detects rise in temperature.

Comment

you could get one of these,

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

and tap the filter housing cover drain plug for the sensor,

weird how your bike uses two pressure switches, never seen the one on the filter cover before?

Comment

Does your 850 have an oil temp gauge? If not that adaptor is from a 16 valve 1100, is my guess.
        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

or better yet this one if you have the cash,

Speed Moto Co All Motorcycles Parts shop for Cafe Racers , Mikuni Carburetors, Motorcycle Headlights, Bobber & Chopper , Vintage, Modern Motorcycles.

I bet this bike had a Windjammer fairing at one point in its life with oil temp and oil pressure guages

Comment

No, there isn't a temp gauge.

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
            Does your 850 have an oil temp gauge? If not that adaptor is from a 16 valve 1100, is my guess.
            Originally posted by one_civic View Post
            or better yet this one if you have the cash,

Speed Moto Co All Motorcycles Parts shop for Cafe Racers , Mikuni Carburetors, Motorcycle Headlights, Bobber & Chopper , Vintage, Modern Motorcycles.

I bet this bike had a Windjammer fairing at one point in its life with oil temp and oil pressure guages
            When I bought this bike as a basket case, it had stock headlight and blinkers but may at some point have had a Windjammer I suppose.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            The white plastic "sensor" is a flow switch to detect loss of oil flow.
            The other sensor is a temperature sensor which detects rise in temperature.
            It's weird how the PO thought it needed two pressure sensors.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

The white switch turns off the oil pressure warning light on the instrument cluster, when there is sufficient oil pressure. If not enough the light comes on, basically an idiot light as they are called in the automotive world.

the temp sensor is for a gauge to show actual engine oil temp, which the 850 doesn't have.

It is not a factory part for the 850, it is off a 16 valve 1100.
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

The oil light sensor is a spring loaded metal plunger that sits down over the oil feed port from the pump. Oil flow up from the pump and pushes the plunger out of the way and disrupts the ground path for the lamp illumination.

That other sensor is for oil temp, not pressure. Both the 1100E and 1000S used that type part.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                X