No announcement yet.

Modifications to Stock Airbox to clear out the A-frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is how I did the air box and filter on my Honda 550. Stock box, outside K&N. Works great, no jet mods at all.

CB550-lft. by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156482494@N02
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

CV carbs don't seem to much like velocity stacks, but they certainly do look cool. Pods are not as bad as stacks as they do provide some intake vacuum that lets the carbs work acceptably well. As for performance, it depends on how you are defining performance. In terms of power it isn't that hard to beat stock. Pods and a good pipe will add significantly (mine is easily 10% more, probably closer 15% at this point) but it is tougher to do that and equal the driveability of the stock set up at the same.

Mark[/QUOTE]

Maybe that explains my my bst34ss with KN pods, cv flatslide carbs off a gsxr, are not smooth like everybody says cv carbs are. They are on off from the idle position when driving, say turning into a street.

VM33's are going back on anyways.

Daryl
      Last edited by Fjbj40; 10-01-2017, 01:14 PM.
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
        Maybe that explains my my bst34ss with KN pods, cv flatslide carbs off a gsxr, are not smooth like everybody says cv carbs are. They are on off from the idle position when driving, say turning into a street.
        Try a 1/4 turn richer on the mixture screws. If that doesn't help try another 1/4 turn. If that doesn't help then they need a more fundamental rework and the VM33's are the way to go.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
        X