No announcement yet.

Old wheel swap comfirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should look great, those rims are some of my favorite suzuki rims. With hondas 13+ cb1100 running the same demention rims, im sure we'll see the tire selection grow for thst size aswell.
    Last edited by thebrandonbeezy; 02-19-2018, 02:28 PM.
    I build Pipers

Comment

So many more options for the chain drive folks...sigh...{lol}

Can I assume that the swing arm pivot is "centered" on a GS frame? {given then that the center of that would be driveline center?...on a G model too}

Comment

Finally got around to it. Back of rear sprocket is 2mm towards the centre with some spacers i had lying around. will make the sprocket carrier spacer 1mm longer (step out the sprocket) and make the LHS spacer 2mm shorter to step out the sprocket and move the wheel over 1 mm. And make it less tighter fit overall. All this should be nice for when i string line it. As you can see i dont rush these things

Wheel Swap.jpg

Comment

"No rush"....Hey, I'm floating the same boat, but for a G model.
          If you still have the old cast wheel, you can remove the tire and use the rim center, between bead seats, as the needed drive center.
          Thats what I'm doing....you know the factory had the wheel centered. I'm also measuring assembled width of the whole rear wheel, drive hub to clutch side end, so I have that reference for the new set up. I'll build and space to that spec.
          As for you revised rear chain sprocket location....this would be a fine time to think about moving it even further out "if" you'd consider a wider tire/rim while your tinkering....

Comment

Sorry no old rims here

Comment

Is there a monoshock version of this that will work with something like a GS750?
              (Don’t have anything in particular in mind. Just thinking about the next build while I spend big $$$ on the current builds.)

Comment

Bandit 1200 G1 or G2. Need bushings for the pivot bolt, and shock mounts welded on. I have a 190 on but a 180 would be more sane....
                Bandit G2 rim as well

sigpic
                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                1983 GS1100e
                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                1980 GS1260
                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Interesting.
                  The Suzuki two strokes I’ve worked on all had swing arm bushings. Knew about the GS-series update to needle bearings.

Looked at the online parts diagram for a ’78 GS750B & a ’97 GSF1200S. The GSF has bushings & needle bearings.
                  Are those bushings bronze or steel?
                  Is there a forum topic that details this conversion?

Comment

Bushings in GS are steel.
                    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
                      Interesting.
                      The Suzuki two strokes I’ve worked on all had swing arm bushings. Knew about the GS-series update to needle bearings.

Looked at the online parts diagram for a ’78 GS750B & a ’97 GSF1200S. The GSF has bushings & needle bearings.
                      Are those bushings bronze or steel?
                      Is there a forum topic that details this conversion?
                      You need to duplicate the GSF bushings except with a 16mm hole instead of a 20mm one, and make the lip about 2mm wider. I think I have a modified bushing here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and post pics. I know I needed a 3/8 offset sprocket and the Bandit hub for proper spacing.
                      Rob Wilton had a kit to do this, not sure if he is still selling them, he had some health issues. http://www.parts.suzuki-katana.com/
                      Last edited by bobgroger; 03-26-2018, 01:56 PM. Reason: added link
                      sigpic
                      1983 GS1100e
                      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                      1980 GS1260

Comment

If rob is no longer selling these, I have a set that I could measure so they can be reproduced. Are you sure one needs a Bandit hub? I was told to use a GS1100 hub, but that doesn't fit properly. That would explain why I have a no fit issue.
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                          If rob is no longer selling these, I have a set that I could measure so they can be reproduced. Are you sure one needs a Bandit hub? I was told to use a GS1100 hub, but that doesn't fit properly. That would explain why I have a no fit issue.

YMMV. I used a 3/8 offset sprocket and the Bandit hub worked best with one washer under the sprocket. Rob's sprocket was a custom, IIRC 12MM offset. I used a 190 tire and it really is too big. A 180 should have more fiddle room. With a 190 the chain is a few MM away from hitting multiple places although it hasn't been a problem so far. The chainguard was nearly impossible, had to do major shock clearance. Not pretty, but it got past tech inspection. I started with a Bandit guard.
                          sigpic
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260

Comment

Working...
                          X