is it worth it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it worth it??

I recently started tearing into my 77 gs750, Ive got it completley apart now and i am in the process of stripping and painting the frame. my question concerns my motor. Its a stock 750 running 4 into one exaust and pod filters, the bike already had the mods when i got it, so im not sure what the jetting is(i havent got to tearing into the carbs yet) I rode the bike very little last year, 150 miles, and never tried to tune it at all before i decided to take it apart. Now what im wondering is this, is the wiseco 850 kit for this motor worth it? I like the idea of getting good power out of this old bike but im not sure of the actul gains id see from installing it. Has anyone out there performed this mod? what do you think? I relize this is a very open ended question, Im just looking for opinons. thanx alot

If you love the bike....keep it.

If you really want some power put the 500.00 towards an 1100. It isn't too big a deal to make it a 7/11. Huge power gains with room to do much more. more power gain for the buck. If you ever sell it you can keep the motor for the next one...good economics...

If you haven't guessed I am a "Litre Lover"(1000cc's) or better.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

The 8 Valve GS1000 engine is easy to fit, weighs less (no kick starter gear to worry about) and is physically smaller (shorter) than the GS750. I have a feeling that the 16 valve engine is a tad taller and will require a mod to stop the tank from sitting on the cam cover.

I'm in a similar situation, I've got a 1979 GS750 with a perfect engine (only 17500 miles) but I've got a spare big port GS1000 engine sitting on my garage floor, plus a spare set of late model GS1000 forks and brakes, wire wheels etc, and I keep thinking "why not?"

I think I'll go for it............ :twisted:

Comment

go Terry...GO.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

If I had a spare litre sitting in my garage I wouldint be asking about my stock 750! thanx for the advice guys

Comment

Bro, I was in the asme boat as you...I just picked up an 1100 for 600 bucks. They are getting hard to find...those unscrupulous drag racers are gobbling them up.

Comment

Now what im wondering is this, is the wiseco 850 kit for this motor worth it? I like the idea of getting good power out of this old bike but im not sure of the actul gains id see from installing it.
              It depends a bit on your idea of "worth it". At a minimum, you should see a 13-15% increase in torque and horsepower (850/750 = 113%) and probably a bit more than that. It may also be more tempermental to start, may overheat (or not, I don't know your engine that well), will require rejetting your carbs and will generally be a lot more fun to ride (more power = better ). You may also want to look at upgrading the suspension, tires and brakes to handle the extra power. These things usually sort of snowball, once they get started...

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by katman
                If you love the bike....keep it.

If you really want some power put the 500.00 towards an 1100. It isn't too big a deal to make it a 7/11. Huge power gains with room to do much more. more power gain for the buck. If you ever sell it you can keep the motor for the next one...good economics...

If you haven't guessed I am a "Litre Lover"(1000cc's) or better.
                I agree fully.

Comment

Originally posted by terry
                  The 8 Valve GS1000 engine is easy to fit, weighs less (no kick starter gear to worry about) and is physically smaller (shorter) than the GS750. I have a feeling that the 16 valve engine is a tad taller and will require a mod to stop the tank from sitting on the cam cover.

I'm in a similar situation, I've got a 1979 GS750 with a perfect engine (only 17500 miles) but I've got a spare big port GS1000 engine sitting on my garage floor, plus a spare set of late model GS1000 forks and brakes, wire wheels etc, and I keep thinking "why not?"

I think I'll go for it............ :twisted:

10-4! Good plan.

Comment

Working...
                  X