1100 Katana possible evolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 Katana possible evolutions

I'm currently contemplating future modifications for my 1100 Katana.
    As of today, it runs on GSXR 1100 K wheels with Bandit 1200 stanchions fitted to GSXR 11K triples.
    The engine bottom end comes from an 1150 bike fitted with an 1100 head.
    Don't ask me why, that's how it was when I bought the bike 10 years ago.
    The rear shocks are from EMC a french manufacturer.
    Yesterday, I fitted a Kerker 4 into 2 exhaust to see what it looks like.
    This must have shed 20 kgs off the weight of the bike!
    The plan going forward was to raise the bike to gain ground clearance.
    In the front I could fit a DL 1000 Vstrom triple that would both quicken the steering and allow the use of standard handlebars instead of the clip-ons.
    By doing so the stanchions can be lowered by about one inch.
    For the rear, the 330 mm shocks could be replaced by 350 mm units or maybe 370 mm units?
    Has anyone experienced this?
    A more aggressive modification would be to use a monoshock Benelli 1130 TNT swingarm.
    The issue here is that it's much wider than the OEM swingarm requiring to cut the frame.
    On top of that it will require to reroute the exhaust pipe...
    Here's a picture of the bike as of today:

IMG_1163.jpg
    Last edited by John Kat; 10-08-2018, 06:55 AM.
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
    I'm currently contemplating future modifications for my 1100 Katana.
    As of today, it runs on GSXR 1100 K wheels with Bandit 1200 stanchions fitted to GSXR 11K triples.
    The engine bottom end comes from an 1150 bike fitted with an 1100 head.
    Don't ask me why, that's how it was when I bought the bike 10 years ago.
    The rear shocks are from EMC a french manufacturer.
    Yesterday, I fitted a Kerker 4 into 2 exhaust to see what it looks like.
    The plan going forward was to raise the bike to gain ground clearance.
    In the front I could fit a DL 1000 Vstrom triple that would both quicken the steering and allow the use of standard handlebars instead of the clip-ons.
    By doing so the stanchions can be lowered by about one inch.
    For the rear, the 330 mm shocks could be replaced by 350 mm units or maybe 370 mm units?
    Has anyone experienced this?
    A more aggressive modification would be to use a monoshock Benelli 1130 TNT swingarm.
    The issue here is that it's much wider than the OEM swingarm requiring to cut the frame.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56460[/ATTACH]
    Nice bike...

No signature

Comment

Why not go with the proven B12 swingarm? Why the swingarm change anyways? Mono shock or wider tires?
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
        Why not go with the proven B12 swingarm? Why the swingarm change anyways? Mono shock or wider tires?
        Mainly for the looks I must admit...
        Here's what it looks like on a Katana:
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Mainly for the looks I must admit...
          Here's what it looks like on a Katana:
          https://www.custom-wolf.de/english/h...na-spezial-66/
          My Kat with a B12 swingarm and Gixxer 1100 front. Did not have to cut the frame or anything. I went with the dual shock look because i feel that is what it should be.

Fall Kat.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rureddy View Post
            My Kat with a B12 swingarm and Gixxer 1100 front. Did not have to cut the frame or anything. I went with the dual shock look because i feel that is what it should be.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56692[/ATTACH]
            That's of course another option.
            BTW what is the length of your shocks.
            Mine are the standard 330 mm which puts the upper shock mount at 630 mm above ground and the swingarm spindle at 355 mm above ground.
            A little too little in my view?
            What are your specs (no rider on board)?
            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56460[/ATTACH]
              John you may well of shed loads of weight changing exhaust, but if you go the TNT swingarm route you'll put it all back on, Trust me as i have said swingarm in my possession, can give you an accurate weight if you need it and its very very heavy.
              I had a similar idea for 1 of my olde Suzi's but the weight is unthinkable so currently shelved at the minute.

Comment

That's of course another option.
                BTW what is the length of your shocks.
                Mine are the standard 330 mm which puts the upper shock mount at 630 mm above ground and the swingarm spindle at 355 mm above ground.
                A little too little in my view?
                What are your specs (no rider on board)?
                Length of my shocks are 350 mm center of the lower mount to the top mount and are TEC. They came from the UK and the Triumph guys use them. I am not aggressive on the bike so they seem fine to me.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi k View Post
                  John you may well of shed loads of weight changing exhaust, but if you go the TNT swingarm route you'll put it all back on, Trust me as i have said swingarm in my possession, can give you an accurate weight if you need it and its very very heavy.
                  I had a similar idea for 1 of my olde Suzi's but the weight is unthinkable so currently shelved at the minute.
                  You are right, the TNT swingarm is very heavy!
                  I haven't weighed mine yet but will do.
                  sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
                  X