Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000G Forks upgrade with original wheel please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G Forks upgrade with original wheel please help!

Hello all and apologies in advance if this has been answered already. I have spent many hours trawling this fantastic forum and other websites looking for what I figured would be a relatively straightforward question. I bought a 1981 GS1000G and I would like to know which front end would suit for an upgrade but still keeping the GS wheels.
    I have seen dozens of posts on similar related topic but all seem to have used newer generation wheels on the upgrade from GSXr etc, is these any suggestion for upgrade keeping the old wheels ?
    I don't mind if I need to change top and bottom yokes, head bearings, wheel bearings etc or even if I need to machine brake mounting brackets, spacers etc
    The bike I bought was (very badly) fitted with forks from a Yamaha (I think??), these are 38mm and I know the original GS should have been 37mm.
    In short rather than trying to source original 37mm i have hoped to change the entire front end, forks and upper and lower yokes but I need to use original wheel as I don't suspect it will be easy to find a replacement wheel for my shaft drive rear. But I am open to this option ether.

I look forward to your valued opinions and experiences.
    Many thanks for your suggestions.
    John

Look in the Suspension & Brakes forum, there are lots of fork threads in there.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

thank you Mark, as I said I have searched this forum but all posts I have read seem to use newer wheel set up, not retaining the original wheels.

Comment

Not many have upgraded the forks & kept the original wheels unless using spokes with wider rims.... Your path of least resistance is to find a decent set from a bike & throw them on. I have a set of 83 1100E triples which are 37mm if you are in need but I don't have forks. I'm not sure if that set will need mods to work (steerer stops maybe) but other than that any 850/1000/1100 set will be a bolt on. Don't get an "L" set
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by John1580 View Post
          thank you Mark, as I said I have searched this forum but all posts I have read seem to use newer wheel set up, not retaining the original wheels.
          OK. Almost no one keeps the OEM wheels because they want the improvements brought with 17" radials along with the forks and it is a significant nuisance to try and fit the original wheels into forks designed for a bigger diameter axle, bigger brakes and a wider wheel. I would suggest your most practical path forward is to get a set of proper 1000G forks and upgrade them with correct rate springs and cartridge emulators. They will fit correctly, look correct and perform better than every other part of the bike. Add in a set of Salty_Monk's brake adapters/calipers/rotors for decent old time brakes and you will have a very nice ride that is period correct and performs as well as a 1980's motorcycle ever is going to.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

How old of a wheel do you want?....the origonal cast wheels or wire spoked wheels like earlier GSs? Some folks have swapped front ends and added dropped triples for multi adjustability...emulators are nice but adjustability is a minor hassle.
            You have options...but what do you envision for you?

Comment

Thank you for your comment and suggestions Mark, the only reason I have to keep the original wheels is as it's a "G" I don't have any option to change rear wheel as it is the shaft drive and I need both wheels to be the same.
              I have the original cast wheels and happy to reuse these, especially i can put newer forks and triple trees off a later Suzuki. Using original GS1000G fork tubes and then upgrade is going to be more expensive than a front end swap off a Bandit 12 or GSX1100 for example. I don't mind changing wheel bearings, changing steering stops, brake mount spacers, brackets etc etc, to make the newer forks fit, but I don't see any choice to chance to change the wheel as I'm stiuck with rear shaft wheel set up. Unless you can suggest a different wheel to use on the rear as well?
              Thank you again for your support on this.
              john

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                How old of a wheel do you want?....the origonal cast wheels or wire spoked wheels like earlier GSs? Some folks have swapped front ends and added dropped triples for multi adjustability...emulators are nice but adjustability is a minor hassle.
                You have options...but what do you envision for you?
                Hi Bob and thank you for your comment. I seem stuck with the old cast wheels I have as it is a shaft bike and therefore I don't know how I can change rear wheel? I'm open to all suggestions. The set up I have is off some unknown bike I think yamaha and it was dangerously assembled. I would like to change front end for something suitable, but unless you can suggest a rear wheel change option I have no choice but to reuse the original front cast wheel so I need something that will work with that. Happy to hear your thoughts on best options open to me. I don't mind changing wheel bearings, brake adapters plates, spacers, steering stops etc etc to make it work. Thank you again for your comments, John

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Not many have upgraded the forks & kept the original wheels unless using spokes with wider rims.... Your path of least resistance is to find a decent set from a bike & throw them on. I have a set of 83 1100E triples which are 37mm if you are in need but I don't have forks. I'm not sure if that set will need mods to work (steerer stops maybe) but other than that any 850/1000/1100 set will be a bolt on. Don't get an "L" set
                  Thank you for your comment and suggestion. I understand the comment about the original wheels but what wheels/forks combo could I use on the rear if I change the front? It's the shaft drive I have that makes it a challenge? Would GSX1100 or 1200 bandit wheels work?
                  thank you again.

Comment

Using original GS1000G fork tubes and then upgrade is going to be more expensive than a front end swap off a Bandit 12 or GSX1100 for example.
                    I don't know what the G forks would cost, but springs and emulators are less than $200. I can't imagine you doing a B12 or GSXR fork swap for anything like that cost. If you have to pay someone to make axle spacers, brackets, etc. then your price will be several times the upgrades. If you have the machine tools, ability to make the parts and don't value your time then it might work out sort of even.

Mark
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1998 ZX-6R
                    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

John1580,
                      I understand the position you're in. I wanted to upgrade my forks & keep the original wheels also. In my case, everything was made from scratch. No easy way out. It took wheel spacers and caliper hangers all made from scrap aluminum. Good luck in your project.
                      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
                        John1580,
                        I understand the position you're in. I wanted to upgrade my forks & keep the original wheels also. In my case, everything was made from scratch. No easy way out. It took wheel spacers and caliper hangers all made from scrap aluminum. Good luck in your project.
                        thank you Slayer61, what did you use for forks, etc? did you use from another suzuki? model?

Comment

thank you Slayer61, what did you use for forks, etc? did you use from another suzuki? model?
                          Yes John, I used 1989 GSXR1100 forks. The beginning of the project was documented here

Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                          Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Here's an answer for you:

Be aware that keeping the 19" front wheel with modern triples will give you a lot of trail as pointed out by Chuck78.
                            It's not bad in itself but the bike will be more reluctant to turn quickly.
                            In my opinion, the best fork combo would be to use R1 triples or Vstrom triples with eitheir GSXR 11K or Bandit 1200 fork legs with the adapters described above.
                            I still have the caliper adapters if you are interested?
                            See also: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...88#post2512388
                            sigpicJohn Kat
                            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                            GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Read through my build. All the things you are asking are covered.
                              I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                              X