Gs1100 luggage rack on a gs1000gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100 luggage rack on a gs1000gl

Hi I just purchased my first motorcycle, a 1980 suzuki gs 1000gl, and I was looking for a luggage rack but I could not find one that would fit my model to my knowledge. Does anyone know if a 82 or 83 luggage rack with a backrest off a suzuki gs1100 will fit on my bike? I will be taking measurements to compare soon just wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head. Thank you

Depends on the rack. Some are model specific and others more universal. On the universal models they typically have some sort of model specific brackets to allow the adaptation.

Your 1980 shares the frame with the 850GL bikes from '80 & '81 so you can expand your search to cover those bikes as well. Suzuki evolved the model in '82 with a slightly different frame so that will likely effect what racks fit what.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you for your reply it helps a lot!

Comment

Was that " '82 or '83 GS1100" chain-driven or shaft-driven?

Might also make a difference if they were an "L" model or not, but I'm not sure about that detail.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It was the L model and shaft drive just like mine. I will be heading home in 2 days to take measurements. I really hope it fits.

Comment

Welcome to GSR .

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks! I love my gs. So glad I got one as my first motorcycle!

Comment

I once mounted a KG rack from my 850GL on my 1000G. There was a lot of hammering on the rack, and some brackets had to be fabricated from strap steel. Fortunately, It wasn't a nice rack to begin with. But it was quite functional. It's back on the 850 now, after some straightening.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I was hoping for no modifications but we shall see. I wish I could find one for my model in great condition. My bike is very clean so any parts I add i would like to be in the same condition.

Comment

Here's my 1980 Suzuki gs1000gl. Not bad for $850 and around 8500 miles. Just replaced the petcock and ran some sea foam through it and drained the carbs. Still might need a carb cleaning come spring but I love it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is another.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Update, it will not fit. My mounting brackets were only 10.5 inches apart the gs1100 mounting brackets were 12.5 inches apart according to the other owner.

Comment

Originally posted by zahnzabar View Post
                          Update, it will not fit. My mounting brackets were only 10.5 inches apart the gs1100 mounting brackets were 12.5 inches apart according to the other owner.
                          That's what spacers are made for.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                          1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                          X