Newbie here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here....

What a great place to find....wow. the level of info here is unreal. I have a quick question. Will the tank and seat from an early E model, 1978-1980 fit onto a -79 L model??>.......I don't care for the look or the riding position of the L model especially compared to the E model. Thx.

In a word, ... NO.

With a few more details, ... it would be nice to know what bike is being discussed, but the tanks are still not interchangeable. The mounting points are different, as well as petcock locations. If you consider the '80 tanks, you even get a different petcock that is not interchangeable with anything else.

Hopefully, you are asking these questions while in bike-searching mode, and have not already purchased a bike. If you HAVE already purchased an L, sell it and get what you really want.

Depending on exactly what part of the look you don't like, some of it can be changed. The riding position can be modified a bit with different handlebars, the seat will take a bit more work. Mechanically, the bikes are pretty much the same.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by vmxracer1 View Post
      ....................-79 L model??>.......I don't care for the look or the riding position of the L model especially compared to the E model. Thx.
      WOuld be usefull to know what year of the donor bike, becuase some things changed in tank and seat over the years (and associted things on frame).

But basically, no, E and L seat and tank not interchangeable.

If you want to modify the "L" out of it, changing the bars to something more like stock G or E bars goes a long way toward that, nd that is not difficult, just hve extra lenght of cables to reroute.
      Modifying the seat is not easy.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thx guys....my intention was to purchase a nice '79 L model for next to nothing and then graft a seat/tank combo off a 78-79 1000E model and change the bars to normalize the riding position. But if it requires cutting and welding, I think I'll pass...not up for that right now. Thx for the help. U saved me from a mistake.

Comment

Working...
        X