1100 arrived today! Yeeeee-haaa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 arrived today! Yeeeee-haaa!

A semi pulled up to the house today and dropped off my long-awaited 82 GS 1100E engine. As I took the crate apart, everything seemed to be in order. It looked just like I expected it to look.
    Interestingly, the engine was still cradled in the lower frame rails. He just sliced right through the frame and crated it. Ok...I can dig it...

First thing I did was take off the ignition cover....all looked well, no problems...

Next, I took off the clutch cover.....no chunks of metal fell out and it looked OK...Put a wrench on the crank bolt and it turned over smoothly, with noticeable compressions...so far so good...

Went to the other side and removed the generator cover.....it looked bad 8O

There are chunks of magnet everywhere....and the starter gear is fragged. I just sat there for a minute fighting back the tears.

I know that there could be many reasons for this....but if you had to guess, what would make it do that? The bike showed 5000 miles on the odo. Is this a common occurance with 1100s? Wisdom please...

I went to bikebandit, and of course the parts don't interchange with the 82 750E...anybody have any spares?

WooHoo!
    Give us pics Mark!

I hope you get the bugalos worked out.
    I am sure it is fixable. Nothing common
    I know of in any of the models that would
    make a starter gear frag like that???

Very curious.

Comment

A guess is that the starter clutch bolts sheared and the play got the starter gear, It's a pain but can be fixed. if all that is bad is the starter than you got off easy i would say. 8O

Comment

My big concern is the magnet particles that may have been sucked into the oil and distributed throughout the engine...I guess they would stick to everything made of steel.... 8O
        I have pics and will post them as soon as I can...

Comment

Hey Mark,

Just so happens I have been tearing apart an 82 GS1100G.
          It is missing the side covers...magneto, points and trans....
          but all else SEEMS to be ok.

The carbs are torn apart and missing parts and the starter cover
          is missing.........
          I have never seen this engine run, but for a spare?????

Interested?

Steve

Comment

I'm not real familiar with the G engines... Are the head/cylinders the same?

Comment

That I cannot answer..I will have to defer to one of the more
              "experienced" people here.

Anyone????????

Comment

that would be NO
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

This isn't a very good pic, but you can make out the starter gear...

Comment

OUCHHHHHH!!!!!!

That may not be an easy fix.

I would want to split the cases and check the crank. That is a big booboo.

How does the starter cog look?? Is it busted too? and check the boss hole in the cases where the starter cog shaft goes into the cases. It may be cracked and need welding.

Where is the other piece?
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Contact Richie, he has a bunch of parts for these bikes for sale, I know he doesn't have a starter clutch, but he may have the other parts. As for peices in the engine, you might try taking the oil pan off and see what you find.

Comment

I think the question is what did you pay for it. I would assume the price was set with the assumption that it was a good motor. Right now you have a motor that needs completely torn apart and rebuilt. I wonder how many other parts inside were damaged by the debris from the starter clutch. That can get expensive.

Comment

OK guys, I took the end of the crank apart. Here's what I think happened.

Just like Scotty said, the starter clutch bolts sheared. Not good. I don't think the magnets came apart untill later. It looks like someone was beating on it with a framing hammer...maybe to un-jam it...and shattered the magnets. I ran my finger through the oil return galley at the bottom, and I didn't feel any chunks of crap. The oil even looked pretty clean. I'll pull the pan and check it out asap.
                          Here's the pics.....in the Starter album....

Can that seal on the crank be changed without splitting the cases?

Katman...good call on the cracks. I didn't see them untill I wiped it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Harrop
                            oops....how bout this
                            [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UgB*Ax8ZzxWn8xR3XlUWcg4pP34IXMx
                            C6FYUYgXZ*ukD6LBs17j7JV*qycfZxPAr0bIbN5ZNf7TR0xEXe 0SfmNJ
                            a8gITf2nsBltCcYlpgHpUKomJKsp98hrcy6FsfKse/engine%20077.jpg?dc=4675493076006831965[/img]
                            hey bud...IF you go into this post and edit it..delete this line. The page
                            will return to normal width without scrolling.

If you want of course.
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                            X