DOT head on Bandit 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
    Those heads from a teapot are still out there but, good luck finding the gsxr cams.... I have a short stroke 750 motor in my '83. I've run both style cams kat and gsxr and the difference is undetectable imo. I'll bet 10hp maybe.... I've dragraced it for years and, the newer oil boiler is only 4 or 5 tenths quicker in the 1/4 than the original motor was.
    Dale Walker sells the cams. To me, 10 hp is generally noticeable-maybe not on a 1/4 mile slip (I stopped drag racing motorcycles when I sold my FZ1 back in 2010), but in roll-ons and how the bike moves through the powerband.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Too bad you're on the other side of the country.
      I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Dale Walker sells the cams. To me, 10 hp is generally noticeable-maybe not on a 1/4 mile slip (I stopped drag racing motorcycles when I sold my FZ1 back in 2010), but in roll-ons and how the bike moves through the powerband.
        The cams in the GSXR-1100 and the Katana 1100 are the same. Look for a B stamped in the end of the intake cam shaft. The 88 750 exhaust will also have a B, but the 89 will have a G as they changed exhaust timing in 89.

All things considered, I should have just kept my 1100E!

Comment

I used the stock 1200 sprockets, as the 1200 uses a Hy-Vo type chain. I did spin it by hand and met no resistance. The only thing I can think of is the chain may not have been seated in the teeth of the crank sprocket and it pulled in under load, but you'd think all 4 cylinders would have yakked their valves at that point.

Comment

I meant good luck finding them cheap/used.... New, is easy.
            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
              I meant good luck finding them cheap/used.... New, is easy.
              I have a set of 1100 cams of you want them. Some light pitting on the lobes but nothing catastrophic. I can take pics of necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
                I have a set of 1100 cams of you want them. Some light pitting on the lobes but nothing catastrophic. I can take pics of necessary.
                Interested ...
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

just adding a set of 86 GSXR1100 cams with Falicon sprockets set at 100/101 added 2 full tenths to my 97 bandit.
                  st.3 jet kit for a GSXR and a full two brothers pipe put me at consistent low 10.70's @ 129..not 130 but sooo close.
                  i ended up running low 10.50's by going to RS38 carbs and an air shifter...shifter was only worth a half a tenth.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    just adding a set of 86 GSXR1100 cams with Falicon sprockets set at 100/101 added 2 full tenths to my 97 bandit.
                    st.3 jet kit for a GSXR and a full two brothers pipe put me at consistent low 10.70's @ 129..not 130 but sooo close.
                    i ended up running low 10.50's by going to RS38 carbs and an air shifter...shifter was only worth a half a tenth.
                    I love posts like this! Thank you!
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

the bandit 1200 cams are like broom sticks...they are from the 1100G shafty....
                      FYI my bandit never hit the rev limiter unless i made it...like looking at your watch and waiting.
                      after the GSXR cams it would rev and hit the limiter quick and hard.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        the bandit 1200 cams are like broom sticks...they are from the 1100G shafty....
                        FYI my bandit never hit the rev limiter unless i made it...like looking at your watch and waiting.
                        after the GSXR cams it would rev and hit the limiter quick and hard.
                        Yup. I was showing 260kph when things began to get blurry. It was a long pull to hit 240 with the stock cams. I don't know how much the RS38s contributed, but the power was instant. You will never miss the "lost" midrange. Totally different animal.

Comment

Well, I plan to keep the current carbs in place for the time being, but I can say that having Bill rejuvenate them and swap out the ghetto jet kit that was in them for the Factory Pro C30 kit and their titanium emulsion tubes has made a night and day difference.

The plan is to set up the DOT head with at least the intake cam set up from the GSX-R. At present, I'm running only a slip-on to compliment the twin oval K&Ns and the jetting. When the DOT head comes to roost on the bike, I can see searching for a proper full pipe. That should give me about all I want in this old beast (namely, a solid mid 10 second bike with great roll-on power and day-to-day reliability). I know they can turn 9's, but I'm not going to take it to anything but a test and tune here or there.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

I have a Yoshimura Duplex header off a 90 GSXR 1100, the ones with the little scavenger ports between pipes.
                            It has no dents on the collector, but a bit of surface rust here and there.
                            When my Kerker K-2 fell apart, I thought I might be able to finesse it onto the 1150, but never ended up trying.
                            It's been hanging in the garage since.
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                              I have a Yoshimura Duplex header off a 90 GSXR 1100, the ones with the little scavenger ports between pipes.
                              It has no dents on the collector, but a bit of surface rust here and there.
                              When my Kerker K-2 fell apart, I thought I might be able to finesse it onto the 1150, but never ended up trying.
                              It's been hanging in the garage since.
                              Interested!
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm thinking of buying a low mile motor, slinging it in for now, then slowly building up a beastly replacement (1216, cams, flowed head, etc.) instead of simply doing the DOT head. My bike has a minor headgasket leak and no matter what, I can't get the timing chain quiet, so methinketh it would be easier to grab a ready to go motor, throw it in and enjoy the bike fully while amassing parts and building a cool motor.
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X