GS1100E Cam Mismatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E Cam Mismatch

I recently bought a cheap 1100 16V motor ($200) to go in my bike. Engine had sat since 1999. Once I got it home and pulled the valve cover I realized it had a set of Cam Motion G3 cams in it

I was pretty happy at first, until I realized there was some damage to some of the rockers, and one of the lobes on exhaust cam. Not sure if its due to the fact that standard rockers were used, or if it was an oil issue, but either way the damage was done.

I plan on eventually trying to get the exhaust cam lobe repaired, but until then.... I got more rockers on the way, and I have a stock 1100E exhaust cam on hand. But don't have a stock intake cam. Will it be okay to run the G3 intake cam with a stock exhaust cam?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2020, 02:22 PM.

Well, its running with some good used rockers and the stock exhaust cam. Called Cam Motion they said they don't fool with motorcycle cams anymore so they won't repair the exhaust cam.... I'm not paying Web $700 for another set of G3 cams to put in a $200 motor. Guess I'll go on the lookout for some 1150 cams or something.

Comment

One or two of the race tuners on here will probably know who can rebuild your cam.
      Might not be cheap, though.
      Otoh, it's a job that used to be fairly common.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Not sure but doesn’t posplayr have a 7/11 build with race cams?
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Matt420740 View Post
          Well, its running with some good used rockers and the stock exhaust cam. Called Cam Motion they said they don't fool with motorcycle cams anymore so they won't repair the exhaust cam.... I'm not paying Web $700 for another set of G3 cams to put in a $200 motor. Guess I'll go on the lookout for some 1150 cams or something.
          I have a set of 1150 cams worthy of a $200 motor (i think). i know I have a pair of 16V cams last I looked.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Not sure but doesn’t posplayr have a 7/11 build with race cams?
            Not 7/11 but i did list everything here. It is in the hereafter now (broken down for parts in 2016)

Engine:
            * 1166 10.25 CR Weisco
            * Ported Head (by headsbikesmopars) with 28mm 1150 intakes , backcut valves and Serdi radius cut valve job.
            * 0.340 Webcams
            * High pressure Gears
            * Welded Superhub with all EBC clutch springs.
            * DJ Jetted 1150 BST36 carbs using LM-2 from Innovate Motorsports
            * Top End Oiler with GregB distribution block

Comment

This is what the lobe on exhaust cam looks like. Just a few thou of material gone in that one spot. I could probably run it but I'm afraid it would chew the rocker up within a short time.

Comment

I have stock pair of cams from an '82 pulled out when new, and another used set from an '83 normal wear and tear. If interested in either PM me.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  I have a set of 1150 cams worthy of a $200 motor (i think). i know I have a pair of 16V cams last I looked.
                  Could you check for me? The 1150 cams have no tach drive on exhaust side so they are pretty easy to identify. If you got a set I'll take em if the price is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt420740 View Post
                    Could you check for me? The 1150 cams have no tach drive on exhaust side so they are pretty easy to identify. If you got a set I'll take em if the price is right.
                    They are probably 1100 cams; there was a tach gear on them. They have been wrapped up and in a webcam box for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      They are probably 1100 cams; there was a tach gear on them. They have been wrapped up and in a webcam box for a few years.
                      10-4 Thanks for the reply. I got some stock 1100 cams on the way. Found a set on ebay for $20 lol. Still would like some 1150 cams though if someone here has any.

Comment

Working...
                      X