Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar Replacement Issue

Hey GS family,

Previous owner of my GS850 had a lower height handlebar (almost super bike style) installed on the bike. When my brother purchased the bike he replaced it with the oem bar the owner provided. I wanted to switch back to the smaller one to test it out.

Now this is my first time installing a bar and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but the throttle revs up when it’s installed on the bar. When it’s just hanging it’s fine. It seems to be some kind of a magnetic issue of that makes sense. When I put the throttle cable by my turn signal bar the revs go up as well. Also when I have the assembly at the end of the bar it’s revving fine but as I slide it closer to the brake lever assembly the revs go up.

I'm hoping it’s something obvious you guys can point out here.

Also noticed inside the bar there’s a thick steel bar surrounded with some foam or rubber. Not sure if that has any affect or this or not.

Tried inserting a photo from my phone but not sure if I can directly or not.
    CCB8B3E0-DA92-46B3-8BA3-D1084766CCEA.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Nevermind! Just needed to set my throttle tension...

Comment

When installing lower bars there is extra unneeded length in the cables. You can either search out shorter cables or reroute your originals so they don't bind.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That thing inside the bar is an anti-vibration damper.
          Given that it is in a non-factory bar it might (or might not) match the vibration period of your engine, but it will probably be close enough to be effective enough.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            That thing inside the bar is an anti-vibration damper.
            Given that it is in a non-factory bar it might (or might not) match the vibration period of your engine, but it will probably be close enough to be effective enough.
            Thank you! Now I know.

Comment

If I remember right the damper inside was an aftermarket device and was marketed as the "Barsnake". Yes, the purpose was to dampen uncool vibes translated through the hollow handlebar. It's pretty cool that is in there. You don't see them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by streetfighters View Post
                If I remember right the damper inside was an aftermarket device and was marketed as the "Barsnake". Yes, the purpose was to dampen uncool vibes translated through the hollow handlebar. It's pretty cool that is in there. You don't see them anymore.
                I had a pair of ST1100 bars I fitted to the GS - they were equipped with a pair of those dampers. What a pig trying to get them back out. If it weren't for the fact I have internal bar heaters, I'd have left them in place and they'd probably have done a good job.
                Barsnake was a onepiece design that went across the entire width of the bars, so these weren't it. I think a barsnake would have come out far easier.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I’ve got a bar snake in mine... just a very long length of rubber. I think if I wanted the same effect on the cheap I’d plug the bar and fill it up with silicone... (caulk)
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X