Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

79 GS750e Replacing Head Gasket, what else should I do while apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS750e Replacing Head Gasket, what else should I do while apart?

With my upper head gasket hitting the point where it has to be replaced (leaking and now losing compression), what should I look for and or just replace while it's out of the frame and on the bench?

Best do the base gasket as well. While you're in there check piston and ring clearances, valve clearances etc. If you read the factory manual it will give you all the checks and info you need for a top end rebuild.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
      Best do the base gasket as well. While you're in there check piston and ring clearances, valve clearances etc. If you read the factory manual it will give you all the checks and info you need for a top end rebuild.
      Would valve springs, retainers, etc be worth replacing?

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Mike View Post
        Would valve springs, retainers, etc be worth replacing?
        Check the spring lengths which will be easy to do as you should take the opportunity to replace the stem seals and check the seats for maybe a light lapping.
        With the exhaust off you can see the stems of the exhaust valves and see if there is oil leaking down there.
        I wouldn't go replacing springs and retainers as a matter of course.
        It's also a good time to have a look at the cam chain slider blocks for deep cracks and check the wear of the chain itself.
        Check the chain tensioner for leaking seals.
        It's also an easy time to take the starter motor out and clean up the commutator and inspect the brush length.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          Check the spring lengths which will be easy to do as you should take the opportunity to replace the stem seals and check the seats for maybe a light lapping.
          With the exhaust off you can see the stems of the exhaust valves and see if there is oil leaking down there.
          I wouldn't go replacing springs and retainers as a matter of course.
          It's also a good time to have a look at the cam chain slider blocks for deep cracks and check the wear of the chain itself.
          Check the chain tensioner for leaking seals.
          It's also an easy time to take the starter motor out and clean up the commutator and inspect the brush length.
          Sounds like a decent list to use when going over the motor. The starter would not have crossed my mind as I tend to use the kick start most times except first start of the riding season.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Mike View Post
            Sounds like a decent list to use when going over the motor. The starter would not have crossed my mind as I tend to use the kick start most times except first start of the riding season.
            Well in that case the starter could be in good shape
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              Well in that case the starter could be in good shape
              Will still check it and clean it as I suspect the previous owner(s) used the electric start more than I do.

Comment

Working...
              X