Wrong size carb from the factory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong size carb from the factory?

Well,folks. I was cleaning up the carbs on my low budget 750 drag project when I noticed one carb was significantly smaller than the others.
    My bike has rack mounted 26mm Mikunis. However, carb #1 was a 24mm.
    Doesn't really matter to me since I have bored them to 29mm. I wonder if other guys have had mismatched carbs.
    Craig

Hey Craig, how did you bore them, did you set them up in a lathe? Lemme know mate, I want to bore my GS750E carbs, but I'm too chicken? Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Weird man! But I suspect a previous owner for making the mismatch.
      Are there any GS bikes with 24 mm carbs? 550's have 22's right? Just trying to learn something today

Comment

Carb mods

Terry, the Mikunis are a soft aluminum. They can be easily enlarged in the throat with sandpaper. Of course, the trick is to make the enlargements consistent between all four.
        I made some attachments for my Dremel and worked very carefully. I made about 1,000 measurements. Remember, I didn't have to make them exactly 29mm. I had to just make them all the same. I went 28.75mm. I didn't want to get greedy. Then, I used a carbon steel brush to polish the throats. Do you want a picture?

Robin, I found VM24 part numbers listed on the Sudco.com website. That is about all I can say on that.

Craig

Comment

G'Day Craig, thanks for that mate, yeah I'd love to see a picture? Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Working...
          X