GS450 tires and fork brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 tires and fork brace?

Hello everyone: Newbie here (to this forum anyway). Have owned several bikes over the years and got back into it 3 yrs ago w/ a '78 XL175. Outgrew that and just picked up a beauty, a 1980 GS450ST w/ only 8000 miles on it. It runs great and has been cared for while stored and seldom ridden since the mid-80's. It needs tires, has could-be-original Continentals on it now, including the old ribbed-style front. Spooky! Any suggestions on currently available tires? I've heard people like Metzeler ME77's. Can't find a 3.50-18 rear (100/90 either). How do these bikes do with 4.00-18 (120/90) on the back? The only mod the bike has are some fork caps with air valves. It doesn't seem to handle as well when leaned over as my old XL175. I hope tires and some mods will cure that. I know to go with Progressive fork springs and possibly a fork brace. Who makes fork braces for these older bikes? I found a Daytona on eBay but it's kinda ugly and the bike's so pretty at the moment ...

Thanks! - ian

P.S. I was going to post a pic but can't figure out how... Any help?

You're in luck. Check this out: Fork brace on Ebay

If they sell it they might be able to tell you where they got it.

Your pics will have to be hosted somewhere that can you share them from. There's a MSN group we use the GS Garage, but you have to manipulate the location you get to post it here. Or you can sign up at http://photobucket.com. They'll even give you the code to copy and paste here on the board.

Comment

fork brace

I saw that one. That's the Daytona I mentioned that is a little on the ugly side. Thanks for looking! Any other makes to look for besides this Daytona?

Comment

You don't need a fork brace on this model . your tires are no good , go with dunlop arrowmax. This is a good handleing bike.
        Any other probs is down to worn out rear shocks, and a bit of tuneing on the front.

Comment

Ok, now what size?

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. The next question is, will a 100/90 fit under the front fender? I like the tread design of the Arrowmax, looks a little more hi-tech than the Metzeler ME77. Tire size conversion charts I've found suggest that a 100/90 is in the neighborhood of 3.25-3.50. The old Conti is a 3.25 but 3.50 may be a little too tall. I think there's room width-wise but not sure of fender clearance. Also, does anybody have recommendations for the size of the rear? There's a 3.50-18 on there now which seems narrow. Old Beemers use 3.50's front and rear and BMW groups I've lurked on seem to agree that those bikes handle better with the 3.50 on the rear over the 4.00. Any opinions?

Thanks again, ian

Comment

You should be able to fit a 100/90 19 up front and a 130/70 17 on the back. Metzler makes the Metronic and Laser (ME33 and ME55) in those sizes.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

tire sizes

This bike is the GS450S, basically a GS450E with a small cafe fairing. It has 18in. wheels front and back. I think you're thinking of the L model with cruiser ergos. Thanks for the input though. - ian

Comment

Im running a 90/90-19 on the front and a 120/90-17 on the rear, both Cheng Shin. They work great for me. I dont think I would want any wider on the front or rear as it would handle slower.
                Dont know why you have the fork caps with the air valves... Perhaps those, old fork oil, and bad front tire causes poor handling.

Dont forget to pick up new inner tubes with your tires!

Comment

Working...
                X