front forks swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front forks swap?

hey guys... had a fwe thoughts running thriough my head. as i want to eventually get the GS into cafe trim... why not make some suspension/handling mods? i would like to obtain dual disc fronts... i have a mag that will take dual discs. what forks would easily swap over (possibly using the stock trees)? will katanas bolt up without too many problems. will the stock 19'' GS wheel mate up? it would be best to get a pair of forks with dual disc, do all the seal and fluid maintenance, and then bolt them up with the extra braking gear. any thoughts?

Well DUH a Katana is a GS and runs a 19" front with dual discs, so too easy.
    Dink

Comment

what about the axle size, did suzuki carry that over? is the diameter of the later model katana forks the same as the older GS550?? just because the katana is a GS model, and were made in relatively the same displacement does not mean that all parts will easily and readily swap over.

Comment

It's pretty easy...

For the most part, Suzook only used 2 sizes of bearings. In fact, it seems that axle bearings only come in 2 sizes in Japan. Putting your wheel on a different Suzuki front end should be a "plug n play" affair, but even if it isn't, all you have to do is order bearings for the bike that the front end came off of. Check the fork stops though. Make sure they're the same.

To illustrate--right now, I am putting a '80 GS1000 front end on a '78 Yamaha SR500. I am using a '92 600 Katana front wheel and GSXR brake calipers of unknown vintage. So far, everything has fit perfectly, with the exception of the fork stops.

Comment

To illustrate--right now, I am putting a '80 GS1000 front end on a '78 Yamaha SR500. I am using a '92 600 Katana front wheel and GSXR brake calipers of unknown vintage. So far, everything has fit perfectly, with the exception of the fork stops.
          Suzuki are masters of parts bin engineering. For a project a while back, I had a 99 GSXR600 fork and triples, 89 GSXR750 front wheel and 96 GSXR750 brake calipers assembled. Everything fit fine and all lined up like it was planned at the factory...

Mark

Comment

thats pretty cool.... any particular front end known for swapping over easy to a 550? it appears you guys are dealing with larger machines than mine. are the steering head bearings the same size? i know you guys said suzi used pretty much the same bearing throughout their model range. i would definitely like to improve the front end performance. does anyone know a good year katana (550 model hoefully) that used a 19 inch front tire, equipped with dual disc (dunno when this was implemented, all i know is MY bike doesnt have it). fishing around for some parts suggestions.

Comment

I think I see now

I don't know specifically what is going to fit.

Plan A--Go to Tucker Rocky or Parts Plus or another online bike parts supplier and look at the part numbers for the stem bearings. If you find that the stem bearing for GS550 is the same for all models (which is what I suspect), then you can be fairly certain that they will all slot in without much trouble. Then look up the specs for GS550 models and pick a front end. I think the specs are available on this site somewhere. I would definitely be looking at the 550 Katana models for this. Don't limit yourself. If you are going cafe anyway, check the 600 Katana too. Only problem with that would be fitting a fender.

Plan B--go online to ricepaddy.com and tell them what you are trying to do. They will probably know or be able to ascertain what fits what, and they have very reasonable prices. I love RicePaddy. Check out their modded GS1000 in the photo gallery.

Plan C--Find any GS550 front end that will accept dual disk, and worry about adapting the 19" later. I think swapping wheels is a much easier proposition.

Hope that helps. When you find out what fits, post it so we can all know.

Comment

cool. i'll be sure to keep you posted. and i want to put some of bike pics on here sooner or later. right now, its just a standard 550 with black paint w/red and gold pinstripes. i want to go flat black (duh, kinda the standard for streetfighters/cafe machines), and maybe paint my wheels a flat red, and do some old school hot rod style stuff. definitely going to search for a different set of forks. i mean the worst that can happen is end up with better brakes, and a sportier set of springs.

Comment

I love red wheels. Sounds like you building a kool machine.

Comment

Hiya Shoggoth,
                    There are steering stem bearing differences between the 550/750/1000 Gs's. I've had to do the same mod to my 750, which has the same bearings as yours. The top bearing is always the same, but the bottom bearing of the 1000/1100 is bigger, fitting the later Suzuki models GSX/GSXR/RF etc stems. If you want the new steering stem to match the 550, you take a bottom bearing for the 550 and have it made to fit the new stem. Sometimes it can easily be machined down, but in my case of RF900R triples, a new stem had to be made. Any good machining shop can do this for $50-$75. Don't worry about the steering lockstops. Just hack em off and weld some new ones on that suit your new triples.

Good luck, Marco.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
                      Suzuki are masters of parts bin engineering. For a project a while back, I had a 99 GSXR600 fork and triples, 89 GSXR750 front wheel and 96 GSXR750 brake calipers assembled. Everything fit fine and all lined up like it was planned at the factory...

Mark
                      amen to that i took a wheel of a 03 vz800 and it bolted right up to my 78 gs550 with NO MODS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im looking forward to some more easy swaps like this 1

Comment

Front fork swap

The front forks off a 80 GS550M has everything you are looking for.
                        80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

While considering a good fork swap for my bike I found this site. If you go to tech tips, there is a chart for all fork tube sizes. I was looking for something "late model" and in almost new condition.....BadBillyBhttp://www.ohiocaferacers.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X