X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rick romero
    its cheaper to roll a peice of metal than to make it solid
    Rick
    I think he is talking about the plugs that are flat and have little round holes in the end of each one--i think????

Comment

Yea, the flat ones with the holes, not the cylindrical ground prong. I'll tell the answer that I was given after Hap weighs in with his answer. I don't want to bias his answer.

Terry

Comment

My guess would have been that the holes probably were required by the manufacturing process, but I'm getting the feeling of "no cigar". :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by TheNose
        Yea, the flat ones with the holes, not the cylindrical ground prong. I'll tell the answer that I was given after Hap weighs in with his answer. I don't want to bias his answer.

Terry
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I for one am glad to see this thread moving towards something interesting and relevant.

Comment

ohhh ok those holes, my guess is something inside the outlet snags it to make a better connection, but i think im wrong

Comment

Nabbed from How Stuff Works.....

"If you were to take apart an outlet and look at the contact wipers that the prongs slide into, you would find that they have have bumps on them. These bumps fit into the holes so that the outlet can grip the plug?s prongs more firmly. This detenting prevents the plug from slipping out of the socket due to the weight of the plug and cord. It also improves the contact between the plug and the outlet.

Electrical devices can be "factory-sealed" or "locked-out" by the manufacturer or owner using a plastic tie or a small padlock that runs through one or both of the prong holes. Construction projects or industrial safety requirements may require this type of sealing. For example, a manufacturer might apply a plastic band through the hole and attach it to a tag that says, "You must do blah blah blah before plugging in this device." The user cannot plug in the device without removing the tag, so the user is sure to see the instructions.

There also is a small savings in raw materials (metal) for the manufacturer of the actual plug prong. Every little bit helps! "

Yes, I spend that much time on a computer. And don't worry about it, Hap - people still call me a geek.... (but it pays the bills!)

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by Q!
                Nabbed from How Stuff Works.....

"If you were to take apart an outlet and look at the contact wipers that the prongs slide into, you would find that they have have bumps on them. These bumps fit into the holes so that the outlet can grip the plug’s prongs more firmly. This detenting prevents the plug from slipping out of the socket due to the weight of the plug and cord. It also improves the contact between the plug and the outlet.

Electrical devices can be "factory-sealed" or "locked-out" by the manufacturer or owner using a plastic tie or a small padlock that runs through one or both of the prong holes. Construction projects or industrial safety requirements may require this type of sealing. For example, a manufacturer might apply a plastic band through the hole and attach it to a tag that says, "You must do blah blah blah before plugging in this device." The user cannot plug in the device without removing the tag, so the user is sure to see the instructions.

There also is a small savings in raw materials (metal) for the manufacturer of the actual plug prong. Every little bit helps! "

Yes, I spend that much time on a computer. And don't worry about it, Hap - people still call me a geek.... (but it pays the bills!)

-Q!
                These are all extra benefits derived from having the holes. They had holes a long time before someone thought to put the bumps inside to help grab and hold. And the lockout devices are a fairly new invention too. Sure it saves metal, but not enough to make up for the cost of making the hole. I am not 100% positive I have the answer, but it makes sense. I'm still waiting for the EMF expert to see what he has to say. More guesses

Terry

Comment

I think the "holes" are included in the "male" part as part of the conspiracy to further confuse the genders. It's common knowledge among my many personalities that there are those who continue to blur the lines between the sexes and have as their goal the feminization of the males in our western civilization. How else can one reconcile the cancellation of "Tool Time"? One day they will ban the reruns of TT on cable, but only after they pry the remote from my cold, dead hand.

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
                    I think the "holes" are included in the "male" part as part of the conspiracy to further confuse the genders. It's common knowledge among my many personalities that there are those who continue to blur the lines between the sexes and have as their goal the feminization of the males in our western civilization. How else can one reconcile the cancellation of "Tool Time"? One day they will ban the reruns of TT on cable, but only after they pry the remote from my cold, dead hand.
                    Dan, are you sure you didn't wrap that jumper cable around your head and blow the cover off? :?

Terry

Comment

I know I'm digging up a post that almost 8 months old, but I think I know the answer. The purpose of the holes is to dissipate the heat generated by the flow of electricity.

Comment

Oh I see.

I think I got it. hook one end of the cabbles to the battery, wrap the cabbles around your wife's waist and hook the other end to her n#ples. Now see how long you can hang on. 10 secconds and your the National champion.

Comment

Re: Removing the stator cover tip

[quote="ice109"]i know you all have a hard time removing the stator cover because of the magnetic field so here is an extremely easy way to remove and all you need is jumper cables. wrap the jumper cables all the way around the cover and connect one jumper, say the red, and attach it to both terminals. that jumper cables disrupt the magnetic field of the stator inside and the cover pops right off.[/quote

I decided to go through this old topic out of boredom.
                          Maybe you can say"God protects the innocent" but I only had to take off my stator cover once. Allthough the magnetic field "surprised" me, I just took it off ,replaced the stator and put it back on. Sure it was a little wobbly 'til I got it centered but it was'nt that hard. Like I say, maybe if I had known it was supposed to be hard, it would have been.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                            Oh yeah, a bunch of guys used to call me a loser in high school because I was a geek...they work for me now.

Hap
                            Success is the best revenge.
                            Hey Hap, I tried to call you at work, but the guy who answered the phone told me that his geeky loser boss was at lunch? :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by terry
                              Originally posted by Hap Call
                              Oh yeah, a bunch of guys used to call me a loser in high school because I was a geek...they work for me now.

Hap
                              Success is the best revenge.
                              Hey Hap, I tried to call you at work, but the guy who answered the phone told me that his geeky loser boss was at lunch? :twisted:
                              I can't read what you typed...the tape on my glasses got in the way!

Hap
                              Anybody seen my pocket protector and my sliderule, how about my HP42?

Comment

Okay, Mr. Nerd. Take the slide rule off your belt and figure this one out. I originally asked it on Nov. 11 in this thread.

I asked the head of the physics department at Texas A&M this question and he could not give me an answer. A few years later, a guy came by my house with an old friend and even though he had no reason to know the answer, he told me the answer. Here's the question. Why do the prongs on an electrical plug have holes in them? I'm talking about the regular AC plugs like on any household appliance.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X