No announcement yet.

Designing my own Rectifier/Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy! Do I stand corrected! I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone. That was not my intent. I was trying to give my opinion on this. Now, I'm "full of BS", "full of myself", "whiney", "belch out sentences worth of BS and lies", etc., etc. I didn't think I was "harsh" either. Saying all that stuff about me as listed above seems "harsh" to me. I gave my opinion as to what I thought this forum was supposed to be about, and the principle of helping one another. I stand corrected. Thanks for the lesson. I have learned from it. I won't ever do it again. Please don't ban me from the site. Now that I know the rules, I'll shut up and just read. I really do hope this design works. It will solve a lot of problems we all share in with the GS electrical system.

I guess that being an Electrical Engineer myself made me look at this a little differently than the average guy who just wants to fix his bike. I apologize. I will try to be helpful if I can and shut up if I can't.

BTW, I have a circuit that I designed that replaces the petcock with electric solenoid valves. If anyone is interested, I'll try to document it. There will, of course, be no charge. I'm sorry I don't have a fan club.

Jon78gs1000: You are right, "The world sure has changed."

Comment

Hey man (mxongw),

Don't bail on the contributions and stand by the wayside reading. We all just need to move on from a thread once in awhile. My only beef with your comment was complete silence regarding the sales aspect, until news broke that it actually worked, and orders started to flow. Thats why "I" suggested to move it to the "For Sale" section at some point. We need to take some comments with a grain of salt sometimes. It is often hard on a board to express a thought or comment with just the keyboard.... and its tends to keep typing minus the human aspect and facial expression into unchartered waters. Hang in buddy.... we need everyone here to make this place work. No harm done IMO...... Peace

Regards

Greg AKA ghwrenchit

Comment

Forum Veiwers

Input is always important. We are always enlightened one way or another.
        That is what this site is all about.

Go Cleytus!!!!!!!!!!

bmac

Comment

Greg,

I apologize if you were the one who suggested moving the thread to the "For Sale" forum and I implied that it was somebody else. When I addressed my post to Mix I was actually trying to respond to several posts by several people. I also apologize to Mix for singling out his name in the response while trying to address several others as well. His was the first post raising questions of ethics so I began by addressing him.

The point I was trying to make is that the concerns and suggestions could have been made without sounding like an attack from the outset. Mix's subsequent (warranty?) response most definitely struck me as antagonistic, which I just don't think was necessary given the tone of the entire thread to date.

As for you (Mix) "shutting up," nobody told you to withhold your opinion or to refrain in the future, but if you reread your original post you might understand where somebody else might read "judgemental" into it. Cletus certainly didn't start this thread with a "How can I draw people in and make them pay" mentality -- it was others (myself included) who suggested he pursue financial rewards for a great idea.

The idea that this should now be placed in a forum more fitting of its contents makes sense, but the tone with which your opinion (and subsequent opinions agreeing with you) came across was, I believe, different than you intended. No harm, no foul. I think we can all move on without any hard feelings if we choose to. I hope you will too.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
            Greg,

I apologize if you were the one who suggested moving the thread to the "For Sale" forum and I implied that it was somebody else.
            Just give me the credit Steve, Greg is young, he'll come up with other stuff

Originally posted by Planecrazy
            No harm, no foul. I think we can all move on without any hard feelings if we choose to. I hope you will too.
            I do. mixongw. I didn't edit my comments directed at you in my last post (that you picked right up on ) because I meant what I said when I said it. It wasn't in a harsh tone though, it was simply in a discouraged and tired tone. It's based on an older issue and is actually just sour grapes that I need to let go of. It isn't right of me to hold onto things. Regardless how YOU came across, I owe you a public apology. Sorry man. As far as I am concerned, we're cool. On all issues.

Mark

Comment

I am very over this.

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw
                I am very over this.
                Thanks man. Peace is very important to me. Beers are on me if we ever get to meet up!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                  Thanks man. Peace is very important to me. Beers are on me if we ever get to meet up!
                  ...... the older ya get, the more beer ya can afford.... Hoomgar say's "Beers for the House", "I'm buyin'" :-D :-D

ghwrenchit

Comment

Originally posted by ghwrenchit
                    ...... the older ya get, the more beer ya can afford.... Hoomgar say's "Beers for the House", "I'm brewin'" :-D :-D

ghwrenchit

Just a small correction for ya there buddy. Come on over

Comment

A new idea? An actuall improvement?

Hmm.. Theres been some discussion on how to improve the whole r/r thing. How'd you like a R/R that frees up horsepower? Is FREAKING TINY... and helps improve the lifespan of your stator? :-) These are not dreams. They can be done.
                      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
                        Hmm.. Theres been some discussion on how to improve the whole r/r thing. How'd you like a R/R that frees up horsepower? Is FREAKING TINY... and helps improve the lifespan of your stator? :-) These are not dreams. They can be done.
                        I'm thinking I missed a thread, but okay, I'll bite.

Comment

Are you talking about a switching mode regulator ?

Comment

Nope, you didn't miss a thread. It's just relevant to the discussion. ;-) It's time to actually do something "new." I need a day or two to completely sort it out. But the jist of it is this. A switch mode power supply.

The r/r most companies use is a shunt regulator. They keep the voltage under control by sinking enough current to keep the voltage low. That's why r/rs get hotter as engine rpms climb. They are passing more and more current as the rpms go up.

If you disconnect the r/r the stator doesn't heat up. It's not passing current so it doesn't warm up. If you have a r/r that can accept the high voltages that come off the stator. And then make usefull power from that... you've got something. You also only end up taking power off the crank to keep the charge up in the stator. Which would only be on the order of 200w, versus god knows what goes into the r/r's.

So instead of turning horsepower into electrical power, you'd only burn off the power you need to actually power the electrical system on the bike.

Your stator passes the full amperage all the time with a shunt regulator. That's not good. The stator is fairly fine gauge wire to boot. That's a bad thing. No wonder stators and r/r's are such a problem. So, that's the new idea. :-)

Now there are some disadvantages too... instead of your stator being at 14v it will be at anywhere from 20-200v. Which means the r/r now becomes a high voltage component, instead of just a high power component. And there will be some interesting issues with filtering the power going into the power regulation stage. So it's not a holy grail technology wise. It will be a more complex unit. But it may well be better for the bike.
                            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Nope, you didn't miss a thread. It's just relevant to the discussion. ;-) It's time to actually do something "new." I need a day or two to completely sort it out. But the jist of it is this. A switch mode power supply.

The r/r most companies use is a shunt regulator. They keep the voltage under control by sinking enough current to keep the voltage low. That's why r/rs get hotter as engine rpms climb. They are passing more and more current as the rpms go up.

If you disconnect the r/r the stator doesn't heat up. It's not passing current so it doesn't warm up. If you have a r/r that can accept the high voltages that come off the stator. And then make usefull power from that... you've got something. You also only end up taking power off the crank to keep the charge up in the stator. Which would only be on the order of 200w, versus god knows what goes into the r/r's.

So instead of turning horsepower into electrical power, you'd only burn off the power you need to actually power the electrical system on the bike.

Your stator passes the full amperage all the time with a shunt regulator. That's not good. The stator is fairly fine gauge wire to boot. That's a bad thing. No wonder stators and r/r's are such a problem. So, that's the new idea. :-)

Now there are some disadvantages too... instead of your stator being at 14v it will be at anywhere from 20-200v. Which means the r/r now becomes a high voltage component, instead of just a high power component. And there will be some interesting issues with filtering the power going into the power regulation stage. So it's not a holy grail technology wise. It will be a more complex unit. But it may well be better for the bike.
                              You have my attention!

Comment

All credit to ya Cletus...

I noticed this thread when it was first posted and knew str8 away the headaches I would endure trying to understand the tech aspects....

more power to any of you that can....

entrpri... entraprene.... *%#

good ideas like this make the site gr8 - so do all the opinions even to the opposite....

although the thread went alil mad side on the way through - wouldnt be a fun site if it didnt....

In summary - gr8 work following the project through - gr8 contribution to the GSR... and I sincerely hope it does earn you a penny or two...

having said that -whos Bloody shout is it - there be a thirsty Man here ffs...

Comment

Working...
                                X