Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonr
    Steve,

Thanks for the update. I have every intention purchasing Cletus' plans and building this thing myself, but I am interested in field reports; especially the ease of acquiring the necessary parts and any other issues to watch out for along the way. Greg is always meticulous about these things and usually makes a thorough post if called upon.

Keep me posted.
    Jon
    Hi:
    I too am excited about the field reports. The prototype continues to do fine on my bike. In building the prototype I chose the most robust of components locally available. Greg, I believe is using components with the same electrical spec (just about) but mechanically more compact, making for a smaller overall package. Also, there was some discussion about using a welded aluminum enclosure, which I find also appealing as it would ensure all the better heat transfer throughout the enclosure panels (not that there's an y heat problem now...... the prototype does not even break a sweat). As a worst case test scenario, yesterday I disconnected the battery while running the motor (I still won't recommend doing that unless you really have to) and the prototype regulator with the integral filter kept the electricals going just fine ....I rode the bike for about 6-miles like that. I then disconnected the filter circuit to see what would happen and the charging voltage was all over the place and the motor started missing and backfiring when I tried to ride the bike..... I am sure that if I continued like that I would have let the "magic smoke" out of something. That was risky I know, but I needed to get some worst case test data on this thing.
    I believe I will soon replace my stator however, as the leads coming from the present one are very brittle with corrosion well advanced (old age) and may fail from fatigue at any moment.
    I will probably order the Electrex stator. I will however keep the original prototype regulator on the bike. Well, enough writing...... I'm off for a 2-hour ride through the hills and countryside!
    Cheers, Cletus
    Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2006, 08:23 AM.

Comment

As I mentioned before, we won't be building these things for anyone that hasn't already bought the plans from Cletus (we'll wait for his verification before each "build"), and there will of course be a nominal assembly charge to make it worth our while ... but it will be very reasonable for those who don't want to build it themselves.
      To make this more simple, you guys could add the diagram cost to your build price, then send payment to cletus directly for each one built. (Kind of like being a licensed manufacturer of his product). Then you just include a copy of the diagram with the unit when you ship it out. Just my 2 cents to eliminate confusion to the people ordering one.

Torry

Comment

Not to be a wet blanket but isn't a Honda RR for around 15 bucks a decent alternative? There is one on eBay every week it seems. You could buy another for a plug in spare for long trips. They bolt right in and are weather tight.

Just a thought...
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
          Not to be a wet blanket but isn't a Honda RR for around 15 bucks a decent alternative? There is one on eBay every week it seems. You could buy another for a plug in spare for long trips. They bolt right in and are weather tight.

Just a thought...
          I went through three ebay R/R's before I got one that was good on all 6 diodes and had a functional VR on it. And then, you're still left in the dark as to what components are actually in there, and what they're rated to handle. The one I pulled off our parts 550ES charges at 15.5v and boils the electrolyte out of the battery on my 550.

With a "self made" r/r I won't have any of these problems, and could potentially replace any single part that fails.

I'm anxiously awaiting my digikey order. *dances*
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I've bought 13 of them and not a bad one yet. Weird. Must be bad luck or something.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
              With a "self made" r/r I won't have any of these problems, and could potentially replace any single part that fails.

I'm anxiously awaiting my digikey order. *dances*
              Did you get all the parts at the one source?
              Next week I'm ordering about a pound of those HTS-2000 Aluminum rods. Have you used them before?

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
                I've bought 13 of them and not a bad one yet. Weird. Must be bad luck or something.
                You had thirteen failures? Wow ... that MUST be bad luck, Duane, as I've NEVER had to buy one! I'm assuming, of course, that with the exception of a spare or two you've purchased the majority of those thirteen to replace some that had already failed.

I'm doing this project for two main reasons. First, because with all the stories I've heard about faulty R/R's taking the stator with it I like the idea of a really robust, custom unit that I know is brand new, rather than ordering a used part off Ebay with an unknown history. Second, I just purchased a glass mat battery, which I've heard benefits from a higher charge voltage than a standard, older, R/R is designed to put out. Being able to custom set the voltage is very appealing.

It's true that a custom built unit will cost more than an old used one (reliable or not), but I suspect a lot of the people who buy one we've built will appreciate knowing that they're buying a set of brand new components that have been overspec-ed for the job.

Regards,
                Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2006, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley
                  Next week I'm ordering about a pound of those HTS-2000 Aluminum rods. Have you used them before?
                  I have experimented with the older style rods (Alumalloy) but they require a much more carefully prepped work area, so while they do work I wasn't as impressed with the ease of use. I saw the new rod (HTS-2000) being demo'd at the Chicago Motorcycle Show, and was impressed by how easy it was to work with -- naturally the guy doing the demo has LOTS of experience, but it appeared to be very straightforward. I think I bought a pound of the stuff, and plan to use it to build the box for our project. I'll let you know how it goes.

If I start building these boxes for other people I may try and use up the old rod first (I think I have a half pound of Alumalloy), as this application should be straightforward enough so that I'll have little trouble with it.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley
                    Did you get all the parts at the one source?
                    I did! I got 10 sets of the cheaper components ;-) I mean when you're ordering 15 cent parts...
                    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Interested

I'm interested in buying the plans. Can I get the parts at my local radio shack and what level of expertise is needed to build the regulator. Thanks Ted

Comment

Cost

Sounds good. What is the total cost for the plans in american dollars and where do I send it to. Thanks Ted

Comment

I got everything local on friday except they have to order the correct scr's. They substituted the next step up said it was only a few dollars more then at the cashier they were over $30 each, the correct ones are $13. I got the board made up and connected took about an hour once I started laying out parts and soldering, look and check about 3 times before you solder, I had no problems. This is going on my drag bike so I am going to use an aluminum plate for the scr and rectifier mount. Now I am waiting for parts and it was 103 here today too hot to go riding, just sit by the A/C.
                          Thanks for the great upgrade for our old bikes.

Glenn

Comment

Hey Cberkeley can you tell me the exact steps to pay for the R/R.
                            How do I send the payment?

Comment

I think,I pray,I hope [-o< it went through.
                              I made payment :-D
                              I show about 14.8 volts @ 5000 rpm.So if it's good then I'll still make that bad boy just to try it out.:-D

Comment

You sent me an E-mail and I sent you one. You have the plans and I have the money. I sent the money and you sent the plans--WOW I feel like a spy. They wont take me alive Aha HaHaHA =P~
                                We should call Cletus "The Professor"

Comment

Working...
                                X