No announcement yet.

Still Won't Idle! I think I'm done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got it now, sorry for the confusion. They're just a bit tighter than they should be, so I was having trouble getting the feeler in there and second guessing myself.

Thanks for the help! I'll let you know how I mess this up!

~Mike

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
      I've got it now, sorry for the confusion. They're just a bit tighter than they should be, so I was having trouble getting the feeler in there and second guessing myself.

Thanks for the help! I'll let you know how I mess this up!

~Mike
      Second guessing will get you every time........:-D

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
        Second guessing will get you every time........:-D
        I just appreciate everyone's patience. It's only with a forum and people like this that a guy with absolutely no hands on mechanical experience short of changing oil and filter and sparkplugs could tackle everything I've managed so far.

Thank you all. I only hope I can return the favor in some way.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong here but aren't you suppose to insert the feeler gauges (two) between the valve and the adjuster screw?? Each valve needs to be adjusted such that the clearance is the same or there will be a skewing and twisting of the follower during operation.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Maybe I'm wrong here but aren't you suppose to insert the feeler gauges (two) between the valve and the adjuster screw?? Each valve needs to be adjusted such that the clearance is the same or there will be a skewing and twisting of the follower during operation.
            The feeler goes between the cam lobe (the egg shaped thing with the shiny surface) and the follower bearing surface (the other shiny area which comes into contact with the lobe as it turns). I like to first back out the screws and then gently back them back in until I feel the screw has come in contect with the valve. I do that for both valves. I then take my .10 mm feeler in one hand and my adjusting tool in the other (a pair of pliers will work). I back out both sides 1/4 turn and try the feeler. I do this until I find the point where the feeler slides in smoothly. Now if I tighten either side just a smidge I'll find the feeler will bind up and I can't remove it easily. It will actually feel tighter on one side of the surface as you tighten that side. The goal is to get a nice even clearance on the whole surface. I like to see the .10mm go in smooth, but .12 go in tight or not at all (to get .12 mm I combine the .08 and .04 feelers). Now you can use your 10 mm box wrench to tighten up the jamb nuts while holding the adjustment screws. I find that the tightening will cause a small loss in clearance (maybe .005 mm). Once both sides are nice and tight turn the crank a few times and measure it again.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
              The feeler goes between the cam lobe (the egg shaped thing with the shiny surface) and the follower bearing surface (the other shiny area which comes into contact with the lobe as it turns). I like to first back out the screws and then gently back them back in until I feel the screw has come in contect with the valve. I do that for both valves. I then take my .10 mm feeler in one hand and my adjusting tool in the other (a pair of pliers will work). I back out both sides 1/4 turn and try the feeler. I do this until I find the point where the feeler slides in smoothly. Now if I tighten either side just a smidge I'll find the feeler will bind up and I can't remove it easily. It will actually feel tighter on one side of the surface as you tighten that side. The goal is to get a nice even clearance on the whole surface. I like to see the .10mm go in smooth, but .12 go in tight or not at all (to get .12 mm I combine the .08 and .04 feelers). Now you can use your 10 mm box wrench to tighten up the jamb nuts while holding the adjustment screws. I find that the tightening will cause a small loss in clearance (maybe .005 mm). Once both sides are nice and tight turn the crank a few times and measure it again.
              Okay, now I'm confused again. I thought I was supposed to be inserting it between where the valve itself makes contact with the bottom of the adjuster screw.

Comment

Okay, it's the Clymer that's screwing me. That's where it shows to insert the feeler in the picture, but when I inserted it between the lobe and the tappet(?) it was a LOT easier to adjust.

Thanks
                ~Mike

Comment

On a 16v motor the feeler should go between the valve and the adjuster screw!! BTW you are allowed to bend a feeler guage to make it easier to insert; I know I have on mine, do yourself the favour of getting the genuine tool for the adjuster screws, it makes it SO much easier.
                  Then again what would I know I only have four 16v motors, and have had at least one for eight years, and work "in the trade".

Dink

Comment

I need to change the title of this thread,...

...BECAUSE SHE IDLES!!! Every single one of those valves was WAY too tight. Put her all back together and started her up and she idled. She didn't die. She didn't stall.

I'm so mfing happy!

Thank you all. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for walking me through every step.

SHE IDLES! After more than a year, she idles!

(And I'm sorry, Dink, but I was putting the feeler gauge between the lobe and the tappet, although I did check between the valve and the screw as well. And I didn't use the genuine tool either, but it's on order!)

THANK YOU ALL!

Comment

Mike that is fantastic news!!! Now re-synch the carbs.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                        Mike that is fantastic news!!! Now re-synch the carbs.

Dink
                        Oh yes. I'm gonna take her out and warm her up and get right at 'em.

Then I'll find wherever that intake leak is coming from.

I can't tell you how excited I am.

Comment

I'd just like to take a moment to say congrats, but most of all that the valve thing was my idea, and I will therefore be addressing myself with the prefix of "Almighty Ruler" for the remainder of the day.*

(the * is for sarcasm, right? ;-))

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                            I'd just like to take a moment to say congrats, but most of all that the valve thing was my idea, and I will therefore be addressing myself with the prefix of "Almighty Ruler" for the remainder of the day.*

(the * is for sarcasm, right? ;-))
                            Sure is, but you can address yourself as such for as long as you'd like as far as I'm concerned!

Comment

I guess I've been doing mine wrong all along (but it seems to work, oh well).
                              I have tears in my eyes from all the love here.
                              Last edited by DimitriT; 11-03-2006, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
                                I guess I've been doing mine wrong all along (but it seems to work, oh well).
                                I have tears in my eyes from all the love here.
                                Worked for me!

Thanks!
                                ~Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X